Long download is finally over.

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

2hours, 2 min, and 10 seconds later, SPW@W is finally done. I hope it will be a good time killer before CM comes out.

Any thoughts so far?

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I'm no SP expert. Looks complicated enough. Downloaded it in about an hour. I'm not really used to the SP system. I'm not going to delete it because there's so much to explore. Seeing all those tank types made me really hungry for CM. I exited the game and loaded the CM beta demo. I guess CM's 3D just feels more tactical.

Guest MantaRay

Iggi,

Well, I am in agreement, CM is a much better game. Not to say that Matrix Games and Will Bill and the boys didnt do what they could, but after about 30 mins playing it, I am bored.

It just doesnt have the feel that more modern games have. And to put it mildly, it is a far far cry from being any real competition to CM and BTS.

I know that some of you out there will like it, but after playing CM's demo, and going on to this, you just have to feel that it is not going to be a hit with most of the crowd here.

I know I only played it for a little while, but I was annoyed by how long the campaign turns took, and I accidently hit the VCR button, and that was so long. Cool feature, but I couldnt turn it off, and that was annoying.

The AI still seemed to do a mass rush and that was what was wrong with the first 3. I guess when I am awake in the morning I will try to like it better, but my first impression is it is mediocre.

Just my opinion.

Ray

Oh well, just my opinion

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Guest tom w

What kind of an IDIOT am I?

Yes it took me 2 hours 11 minutes and 58 secs to download that SP W@W 310 meg file to my MAC!

Now I will be a FOOL and run SP W@W under windows /98 on a mac using Virtual PC, JUST to see what all the fuss is about....

Should I bother?

(where is that Gold CM Demo anyway!)

For the record after you download the zipped SP W@W file it unzipps and uses up another 300 megs of disk space, and thats before you install it....

I have not installed it yet

I put the Virtual PC on the Mac because I wanted to see what Panzer Elite was all about, it looked very pretty (nice graphic appearance) but the frame was in the one frame every 3 or 4 secs rate it is really didn't work, that was the expired beta demo I had to set my clock back to run. It looked like it might actually be fun on a VERY fast PC

Can any of you tell me more about SP W@W if you have had time to play it?

-tom w

Tom:

Just curious about your experiences with VirtualPC for games. I also installed VirtualPC on a G-4 and it's OK for less graphic-intensive games. But I tried it on Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator and the frame rate is very choppy, plus I couldn't get the VirtualPC joystick to work.

Any advice?

Guest tom w

Hi scoop88

I've only had my virtual PC on the G3 Laptop for about a week and the only thing I've tried so far is Panzer Elite and the frame rate was totally unacceptable.

The concept of running games like Flight sims and Panzer Elite, (high end 3D graphics games) on a mac under emulation is HIGHLY over rated, in my limited experience it does not work.

It may be a while before I get a chance to play with SP W@W on the Virtual PC because if the CM GOLD demo comes out today (widely hinted) then I won't be doing anything else except playing it. Hope that helps.

ok?

-tom w

P.S. Its good to be in touch with someone else

who is also playing with Virtual PC on a Mac.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scoop88:

Tom:

Just curious about your experiences with VirtualPC for games. I also installed VirtualPC on a G-4 and it's OK for less graphic-intensive games. But I tried it on Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator and the frame rate is very choppy, plus I couldn't get the VirtualPC joystick to work.

Any advice?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scoop88:

Tom:

Any advice?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only DOS/Windows games that I've had the patience to play via VPC have been Steel Panthers I and II along with Fallout II.

The speed was acceptable, but not anything to get excited about. For anything requiring 3D acceleration, forget it. Even though VPC has support for the Voodoo cards, it isn't enough.

As far as the joystick not working, I've for a couple of suggestions.

#1) Try downloading Apple's Game Sprockets v1.7.4. They're available in the software download section of Apple's website.

#2) If the latest Game Sprockets don't fix the problem, check Connectix's site, there may be a patch that addresses this issue. I don't recall seeing anything about this problem on their site, but I may have missed it.

#3) And finally, if none of the other tricks work, take a look at a great shareware program called USB Overdrive. It is availabe from:

http://www.usboverdrive.com

Hope this helps.

-Lurker

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

OK, I finished downloading SP:W@W at around 15:00 CDT and installed it and I'm in agreement with MantaRay and iggi. The game just doesn't hold a candle to CM. I feel like I'm playing a 1995 game with new unit icons and sounds. And the LOS calculations just suck.

I'd write a bit more, but my food is getting cold. wink.gif

Yeah, SP:WAW is not going to hold a candle to CM. CM is just so different (and "native" for you Mac users) that nothing will come close.

However, if you long for some other "theaters" of combat, then SP:WAW MAY do it for you. It's hex-based, has annoying LOS, some "gamey-ness" to it and is an overhead view. It definitely has its limitations, but Matrix has done a lot with it considering that most of them weren't doing it for a living when they started (and it's FREE). It would be nice if they could change further things with it, but that would require rewriting the whole game, which is just too huge of a task to ask of them right now.

Admittedly, if you've never played any of the Steel Panthers games, then you will probably be turned off on SP:WAW. If you HAVE played them, then it is probably the best version to date (even better than SP: WWII).