Having a blast! (spoiler)

G'Day everyone,

I downloaded the CM gold demo a few days ago after reading a Combatsim review and I have been having a blast playing the Chance Encounter scenario. I am playing as the Allies and at present I am up to move 16 or something (playing when I have free time). I started by sending my tanks straight down the road to the crossroads and then deploying them left and right, dropping off infantry units (including the 50 cal) into the church and occupying other buildings in front of the wooded hill. I sent one platoon with a machine gun team to the left.

I was lucky in that just as my tanks reached the crossroads they spotted the enemy and by about move 3, all of the German Stugs were destroyed without losing any Shermans. The tanks have since been busy on the large numbers of German infantry in the trees on the hill on their right. The church is such a strongpoint and from the upper level the 50 cal can smash up any counterattacks developing and suppress anti-tank teams.

I pushed the left platoons all the way around the left of the wooded hill and now they are poised to take the Germans in the flank. Some reinforcements arrived on the map a couple of moves ago and I moved them up the road to strengthen the centre. This was lucky, because I underestimated the number of German troops on that hill. There had been a steady firefight facing the wheat field or whatever it is for a while, but when it seemed to be slackening I sent forward a squad to put some more pressure on, but the Germans made a determined sortie and routed them! The German attack got broken by the combined fire of two tanks, the 50 cal and a mortar that I placed on the first flagged hill on the right. By now I have managed to destroy the German Battalion headquarters and a veteran sub-machine gun platoon in the trees and I think there is only a few moves left before they surrender.

German reinforcements coming onto the map walked right into a withering fire from two tanks and some infantry and many seemed to run straight back off the map again. In addition, a group of Volksgrenadiers on the German left, that I subjected to some suppressing machine gun and area tank fire in their general direction to cover an approach by an infantry squad, seemed to just bail out and disappear off the map.

This a fabulous game and I am definitely ordering a copy (how long will it take to get to Australia?). Any general hints you all can give me, or links to strategy guides, would be welcomed.

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Brian,

Glad you are enjoying CM!

From my experience deliveriees from the US take about 2 weeks if all goes well, though it may take a little longer at this time of year. I think you will find CM well worth the wait though if you are enjoying the demo. wink.gif

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

Just get it. You won't regret it. I have played CM more than I have played Diabloii. The game comes with oodles of scenarios plus you can download oodles more. But the best thing is Play by E-mail. As for delivery it was 1o working days to Tassie (you know, the garden suburb of Melbourne :)

have a good Xmas

Guest lickitysplit

yep, just ordered my copy a few days ago,but

I got to warn you, I have a feeling that we won't be getting much else done.My girlfriend was complaining when I got hooked on the demo. I can't imagine what she'll be

like once I get the whole enchilada!

Ordered it just before Xmas! My Chance Encounter game ended 2 moves after my first posting with a German surrender. I think I had 9 casualties (and lost a tank to an AT team) while the Chermans got creamed!

I started straight away on Valley of Trouble and things seemed to be going well for me (a tank got the 75mm pillbox right through the slit nice and early), with an attack up the left side of the map, supported by arty, clearing out the German defenders there, until the Panther arrived! Bang, one dead 105 Sherman and bang, the other 105 got immobilised and toasted by a panzerschreck! Now looking like a very different kettle of fish.

Cheers!

Smith