New Video Card Question

I have my CM CD and it works on my machine, but the graphics are crummy. I'd like someone's advice on what video card might help me out.

(I did search old video card threads, but didn't see one applicable to my machine.)

I have a PII 300MHz machine with AGP 1.0 capability. My current video card has only 4 meg of ram, which is probably the biggest problem. My concern with a new video card is getting the most VRAM, but on a card compatible with 1xAGP. I am not technologically savvy, but presume a card requiring 2x AGP or higher will not work on my machine.

Any input would be welcome! Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

------------------

Zackary

Good point. I'd seen previous posts like this on this forum, so I didn't think about the alternative. I'll post it there, too, but please don't let this stop any of you who read this thread from offering good advice. I could use it.

------------------

Zackary

Zack,

Ignore Rob/1. The only topic cops should be Steve and Charles...

Most AGP Cards will downgrade to the 1.0 Spec (Which includes AGP 1.0 and 2.0 cards.) Your best bet would be either a TNT2 Ultra such as the Guillemot Xentor32 or a 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 or 3000. All are reasonablely priced in the 100 to 140 dollar range and will make CM look like a million bucks..

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage

[This message has been edited by Rookie (edited 06-24-2000).]

I have a PII 300 also(AGP 1.0), besides the other machines that I listed in previous video card posts. It has a V3 3000(16mb VRAM) and CM works out really well. At one point I did put one of the V5 5500's in it to see if it would handle it and of course after getting over many of the V5 installtions issues everything was great and CM was beutiful with FSAAx2/x4. Of course you may be better with one of the TNT2, I believe they have 32mb ram on them and that would help out the 300mhz CPU alot more then a 16mb card, but of course the V5 5500 has 64mb ram, 32 on each video processor. The decision comes down to if want 3DFX or NVIDA chipsets and what other titles you play and what chipsets are recommended for them.

Hopes this helps. smile.gif

I would go for a TNT2 (The best TNT2 by the way is the Guillemot Xentor32 - faster RAM and more overclockable than any other TNT2 card). The TNT2 is an outdated card, but it will do fine for you, since you have a 300mhz system. A Geforce is faster, but more expensive. I would only buy it, in your case, if I played a lot of games and if I were considering upgrading my CPU. A Geforce wont be a great deal over a TNT2 if you hang on to your CPU. But dont get me wrong, you will do fine with your computer and a TNT2 playing CM.

Epée

Freyland steps in to the fray!

Zack, please ignore Rob/1... I know I do.

Advantage of TNT over 3dfx: 32 bit performance. I am a fan of the Maxigamer Xentor 32 myself.

Disadvantage of TNT over 3dfx: Poor Glide performance, and *sometimes* has conflicts with socket 7 boards. I had a Xentor, and had to punt for that reason. For now, very happy with Voodoo3 3000. Good luck!

Jonathan

Guys, lay off Rob. When the forums were split, Steve and/or Charles told us to politely point people towards the appropritate forum.

Unlike you guys, Rob was polite. And he even admitted that he might be wrong that this topic would be more appropriate for the other forum.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

Jason,

Probably correct,But its usually better to awnser a question first and then say,after that,

"By The way,There is a Tech Support forum available too. Just scroll down and check it out. Thats probably the *best* place to get quick help"

Not the way Rob phrased it,and with his previous antics its easy to jump the gun on him so to speak.

I apoligize to Rob,but will continue to ignore him smile.gif

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage