Way OT/ West Front, Talonsoft

Yes, I still play this. I was not very impressed w/ the scenarios included in the original game. I am thinking about picking up the mission pack #1 w/ extra scenarios but I wanted to know if anyone else has it and likes it. Also, what battles come in the expansion pack. Thanks for any info.

The Scenario disc adds almost as many new games as on the original. A lot are set in Europe just after D day. In my opinion it's well worth the money. I even bothered to get mine imported from the US. Adds several new campaigns as well.

Guest Silesian-jaeger

Since we are talking about other wargames, has anyone played "The Operational Art of War" (part #1)? I'm wondering how the WWII scenarios are. I have only played Part II, the modern game.

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

I've removed TOAW1 off my hard drive. To me it was way too generic of a game to cover WW2 well enough. What I have replaced it with are the Panzer Campaigns 1+2 by HPS. They cover WW2 the best right now in the realm of operational stuff. Also, HPS' Tigers on the Prowl and Panthers in the Shadows are excellent WW2 tactical games. Graphics are a bit dated, but I'm after realism, not eye-candy.

[This message has been edited by pkpowers (edited 10-02-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silesian-jaeger:

Since we are talking about other wargames, has anyone played "The Operational Art of War" (part #1)? I'm wondering how the WWII scenarios are. I have only played Part II, the modern game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I like the first TOAW more then the second, but that's just a personal preference for WW2 (though I like to toss nukes as much as the next guy in TOAW2 smile.gif) The Century of Warfare pack from TS is a nice, all-in-one option if you haven't already picked up every iteration of TOAW (like myself--those marketing bastards over at TS are certainly cumbersome smile.gif)

shags

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pkpowers:

I've removed TOAW1 off my hard drive. To me it was way too generic of a game to cover WW2 well enough. What I have replaced it with are the Panzer Campaigns 1+2 by HPS. They cover WW2 the best right now in the realm of operational stuff. Also, HPS' Tigers on the Prowl and Panthers in the Shadows are excellent WW2 tactical games. Graphics are a bit dated, but I'm after realism, not eye-candy.

[This message has been edited by pkpowers (edited 10-02-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only problem I had with the ToP games (never played Panthers in the Shadows) was that they seemed to me to sacrifice a good bit of the fun also, in exchange for the realism. Personally, I never felt at all that the TOAWs were too generic to cover WW2--I've played (probably by now) hundreds of PBEM games and have enjoyed every one of them, most of them WW2. The game seems to me to capture the operational feel that I envision one must understand (a medium between operational know-how and intuition) as a real world general. For me, I love it, though I haven't picked up the HPS 1+2 Campaign games you're speaking of--I need to do that smile.gif

shags