StuG knocked out by mortar fire?

I've played a Chance Encounter game with a friend recently (the first Chance Encounter game for both of us), and something strange happened: one of my StuGs bogged in and was immobilized shortly after before ever getting into a possible firing position. A couple of turns later it was abandoned by the crew. I know there was a mortar, a medium MG and a sherman crew to the side of the StuG that I didn't attack at that time. There were no other enemy troops in the area (don't tell me about fog of war, my troops in the church had a perfect view all around). He later told me he had targeted the StuG with his mortar.

The question is: is this only very bad luck, or does a mortar have a decent chance of knoching out a StuG?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

I still think the crew would be safer inside the vehicle than outside when it's raining mortar rounds confused.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put yourself in that tank… Your tank is immobilized… You hear explosions on or near your tank. Do you know it is a mortar? Maybe the tank you are sitting in is being targeted by a sherm or two… are you staying in there? Not me!

------------------

Always Check Your Six!

Guest Big Time Software

If I were an Allied tanker, I would most likely like the crew to stay in the StuG. So long as I came at it from all but head on, I could most likely take out the pesky armor AND the valuable crew with one shot. So, look at it from the crew's point of view and you will see why they don't want to stay buttoned up in what is really a deathbox.

Steve

Do the troops in CM communicate? I mean, the StuG was (from the german setup area) to the left and slightly behind the church. And my troops were in the church overlooking the area. Can't they tell the StuG crew that there is no direct threat to them, especially as the StuG crew had not suffered any casualties yet?

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

yea but on the other hand, I love killing a tank crew that has knocked out a tank of mine smile.gif REVENGE!! gun em down while they scream for mercy!

Also with mortars going off around their tank it'd be hard to hear the radio, and the antenna might have been broken off etc. If i was the crew of the Stug, I'd pop smoke then run like hell smile.gif remember the germans didn't have a shortage of material, but huge shortage of trained personel.

Dschugaschwili (gosh, I hope I got that name right smile.gif) - communication on a WWII battlefield was extremely limited. Radios were rare and unreliable and most communications were done through field telephones. Often enough the only way for an infantry grunt to talk to a tank crew was to knock on the outside of the armor and shout really loud wink.gif

Ok, ok, I give up frown.gif

It didn't really matter that much because I had already treated that StuG as dead because there was no way for it to get into combat again after it was immobilized (I think it shot once in the entire mission).

By the way, I won that game without that StuG. The enemy forces surrendered somewhere around turn 20 after all their tanks and almost all their infantry except for the reinforcements were dead while I still had one StuG with plenty of ammo and quite a few infantry units left biggrin.gif

It's just that I don't like loosing my tanks wink.gif

Still, I suppose I would have been able to recover that StuG in an operation. Correct?

[This message has been edited by Dschugaschwili (edited 01-11-2000).]

The original question is germaine to a situation i am in with elvis in chance encounter at this very moment...I am tearing him a new bung-hole (four dead shermans and a lot of running away inf to my 1 dead Stug and only a couple of sissy greenies), but he has a mortar parked somewhere and is plopping those nasty little 60mm exploding turds right on top of one of my stugs. the last thing i need is to loose this fellah when i have Elvis by his extra small gonads. So can i have an answer to the question? shoudl i hightail it out of there? I have a decent screen of infantry around to see zooks lurking or sneaking up on my flanks and am far enough away from his cowering bastards in the chruch to lob HE at them without fear. but a shell just bounced off the top and i am getting really really nervous.

What to do? move or stay?

Thanks

Peng, kicking the King's ass

Mr Peng, I just finished a game against your taunting nemesis SS Panzer. He targeted my stug with his mortar(s) and scored 4 or 5 direct hits to no effect other than causing the crew to button up. He heard the hits and I had him convinced, albeit briefly, that I was down to 1 crew member! Of course the game was up when it drove away smile.gif

Thanks dude, i'll empty the goddam thing into the church until it rubbles with those filthy american scum in it.

Die Elvis

Ron, I'd love to hear how the game with the SS_CandyAss goes. Elvis is playing him too it seems. I think I am at last getting a feel for the game and would love to rip his guts out and stomp them into the dust. Kill him well.

Peng out.

[This message has been edited by MrPeng (edited 01-12-2000).]

Guest Zigster

In about 100 beta demo version games against the AI (sick, eh?) I haven't had a closed-topped AFV destroyed by mortar fire. On the other hand, I have had them immobilized while under mortar fire. I'd say be careful.

------------------

Der Zig

Guest Big Time Software

The 60mm mortar round doesn't pack that much punch. I can, in theory, damage a closed top AFV, but it is unlikely to. However, 81mm is where I start to worry. Get hit by a couple of those things, directly, and you could get some damage. Still, on the big risk wheel of life, it is pretty low next to something like a good AT gun wink.gif

Steve