Can Arty damage tanks?

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scooleen:

Can Arty take out tanks, of the hevy variety, or even damage them. I havent had any luck using it against them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You betcha, but it depends on the size of the arty. A direct hit by anything from 6" (say 150mm) up should pretty well put paid to any tank. A 105 would probably do the same for a light tank or armored car. Anything falling in a halftrack or open top vehicle is going to do serious damage and make the inhabitants very unhappy. A near miss can do various kinds of damage. Even an explosion that does not penetrate the armor can ignite gasoline carried externally, snap off antennas, break optics, damage tracks, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Do tank crews get sick inside those tanks while 105's are falling around them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of such cases. I wouldn't want to try it. Apparently neither did the historical tankers as they tended to remember pressing engagements elsewhere whenever the shells started falling. Make no mistake, artillery ruled the battlefield whenever it was around.

Michael

In a recent PBEM, a 150mm mortar (I think) damaged the gun on my Sherman Jumbo 76 and the blast that did it landed about one tile (20m) away. Ironically it was the last shell that landed after the 60 seconds was up. Needless to say I was pissed because my opponent still has 2 StuGs roaming around and I'm out of anti-armor assets. frown.gif

I've never had a tank killed by artillery yet, but I -always- try to stay well clear of the big stuff.

Even if it's not a direct hit, the tank can be immobilised, have a gun hit or just have the TC incapacitated. Subsequent to immobilisation or such, I've had vehicles abandoned.

So if there's artillery landing in one spot, I try to be in another.

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scooleen:

Can Arty take out tanks, of the hevy variety, or even damage them. I havent had any luck using it against them. Do tank crews get sick inside those tanks while 105's are falling around them? Curious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a single 300mm Rocket take out 5 Shermans. That'll teach you not to put all your armour in a close radius of each other. I can only imagine what 14" guns could do. I have yet to run into a scenario that uses them.