Title BMP and order crews to abandon

First, just to save some of you the hunting. The back "splash" screen for the GD can be found in the bmp folder and is labeled "11002.bmp". I have it as the backdrop on my comp now smile.gif

Second, for Big Time, will there be anyway to have vehicle crews exit their vehicles at your command? I know they can't re-aquire abandoned vehicles. On the old demo, one of my German vehicles was disabled (couldn't move) and the men stayed in it. It was in a position where it was of absolutely no use and it would have been nice to have been able to order the crew to abandon it. Not sure why they didn't (Scared I guess smile.gif )

(Also, for mother's day, you could let a new scenario slip out to us for the GDemo smile.gif, for our mothers of course) hehe

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Lobo!

The voluntary abandonment of vehicles and team weapons is on The List. That is, our master list of things we want to get into CM but don't have the time to do all at once.

The feature has one possible downside. We absolutely refuse to let vehicles and weapons be abandoned and then remanned. This is not entirely realistic, but the danger of "gamey" abuse is great and therefore we feel it to be unwise. So the danger is that if we let people bail out there will be a lot of flak about not being able to reman. I'm not saying this is reason enough to scuttle the future inclusion of an Abandon command, but it is something we need to ponder smile.gif

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. I totally agree with your decision to not let people "jump out and jump in". While not realistic, I too think it would cause all sorts of unrealistic play by some.

I hope to see the "Abandon" command included with a possible rule of "only when vehicle disabled" (can they be permanantly bogged?). Not sure this is needed for crew served weapons.

In General and to Big Time smile.gif I am 38 years old and have been playing strategy and war games since I was 16. I first fell in love with "Computer Ambush" on the Apple Computer somewhere around 1979? or so. Since then, I have been hoping and waiting for someone to make a "war" game to take it's place. None has, until now (Close Combat came close). If you ever played Computer Ambush, it was slower than molasis and used an "X's" and "O's" type of graphics system with a printed map to assist you in commands. But it sure was engrossing in it's time.

Nice to finally have someone, comparitively, exceed the value of that game.. Whew, long post, with not much said.

[This message has been edited by Lobo (edited 05-13-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

I played Computer Ambush on my old Apple ][ and it was great! I could practically eat dinner while that thing compiled a turn though! smile.gif

Charles

LOL Charles smile.gif

For those that never saw it, you could literally eat dinner while waiting for the turns. Although you wanted to hear the "bleeps" and "beeps" that indicated gunfire.

By the way, somewhere on my comp's harddrives, I have an Apple emulator program (on my PC) and I have the Computer Ambush game. Unfortunately, it's still sloooowwww and I have outgrown the graphics. It will just have to live in my memories smile.gif (Besides, no time for any other game with Combat Mission out).

Abandoning and remanning weapons was a SOP in the Soviet Army, at least in the 80's for MOUT operations. If the soldier was in defence and the preparative arty fires began, then he must leave the heavy weapons in position and run to cover (i.e., basements) When the fire decreases, he must run to his weapon, hoping isn't damaged, and wait for the first wave of attackers. it is only feasible with interlocked defence strong points and very well preapared positions, to allow sentinels look at the approaching routes without being exposed to the arty barrage.

Ariel

ps: I'm meaning: it's not so unrealistic. I think if it's in the game, only good players could take real advantage of it (not cheat IMHO), as with the Command bonuses in HQ units.

There was one game after Computer Ambush , that was better. It was Under Fire by Avalon

Hill and was ASL for the AppleII later written for the PC. Since then computer wargames have gone down hill until Combat Mission. Has anyone else played Under Fire ? It had look down grahics like East Front/WF.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

I thinks its perfectly reasonable for a gun crew to abandon their gun while under fire and then come back to it once the fire stops.

I know I wouldn't stay manning it while 105mm art was pounding in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Russians were the only one who performend this as SOP in WW2 and then only with anti-tank weapons. Abandoning a gun under fire (aka Cowardice) in western armys is well, frowned upon then and now. When it does happen those "men" are going to keep running. If the MP's catch them it's considered good form to shoot them.

I, for one, began my computer wargaming carreer on Computer Ambush and moved to Perfect General. Two great games! Have subsisted on Steel Panthers until the advent of Combat Mission. Now don't expect to play anything else but CM!