COOL STUFF TO TRY...PART 1

Guest Madmatt

Guest GriffinCheng

Another navigatoion goodie: hold "control" key (both on Mac & PC) and click on any point on the map instantly jumps to that point you want.

Griffin.

Guest Madmatt

Umm Juju, I WAS TALKING about shift click! wink.gif.. (see the top of the thread!)I t actually jumps 2 seconds not one but by letting it go forward then then back you can get the exact moment that you want.

I have probably taken more screenshots out of Combat Mission than anyone and after a while it becomes second nature. You will get the hang of it and YOU CAN get it to advance/rewind a single second at a time but like I said before, its a little tricky.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-11-2000).]

Sorry Madmatt!

I get a little confused sometimes. The sheer size and number of posts on this forum exceed my ability to take things in without missing stuff along the way AND keep up a little. smile.gif

Ok, here's a question... now that we've cleared up the "Target Next" question, thanks to Madmatt's omniscience, I'm wondering how the concentrated firing circle (for the Germans) in the Valley works? Do you have to lure units into the circle? Is there some sort of trigger? I'd like to try it, but I can't figure out how... frown.gif

Guest Madmatt

SPOILER ALERT FOR VALLET OF TROUBLE*****

<<><><<><<

Ok, That marker is a Target Reference Point and can be placed like any other unit during your setup. Think of it as a PRE-PLOTTED Kill Zone and if you taget that circle with weapons they will gain a accucarcy bonus. Offboard arty also will come in faster IIRC when its targets to that location. There has been alot of discusion on this in other threads, do a search on TRP and Target Reference Points...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

INDIRECT MORTAR FIRE: To be honest I haven't tried this myself but here is how its supposed to work as I understand.

First: The Mortar team MUST be within a valid command radius of an HQ unit.

Second: The HQ unit must have a valid LOS to the target.

Apparently thats all there is to it. Just target the spot and let her rip. If anyone can confirm this I would appreciate it! smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried this but can't figure it out. Each unit (HQ or mortar) displays it's own target line, but if I order the HQ they will just open fire, and if I order the mortar it can't fire cos it can't see the target. Any ideas anybody?

What made the "spotted on board mortar fire" a little hard to grasp at first was the fact that I had no immediate way of seeing that it worked.

It could be argued that the ability to now target a LOS blocked area with the mortar is clear enough but it still is less intuitive than it would have been if the line of sight was drawn from the spotter instead.

What I would like to see is a "spotted" LOS line from the mortars with all the info that the "spotter" has instead of the standard, in this case, blocked and "blind" LOS from the mortar.

It works as it is but it is a little less slick interfacewise and hence possibly confusing at first.

M smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Problem is then you will not know what the mortar can see on its own wink.gif

The way it works now, if you can click a target order your spotting unit does in fact have LOS to the area clicked on. If you click on an area that is NOT, then the target order will not "stick". Probably something we could do to make that better in the future, but it sure as heck works smile.gif I used it to great effect the last time I played VoT scenario.

Steve

Another grouping tip: To select a platoon, double click on the hq and the whole platoon is selected. What I do is select a squad.This shows me who his hq is.Then I double click on the hq and I got the whole platoon selected.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 05-13-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoomode:

Grazing fire...how does this work? My MG teams only engage 1 target at a time. Do I have to use an ambush marker in some way?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, you dont have to do anything at all! You will notice this if and when you get a MG up on a flank of a platoon sized assault. Watch as your MG tracers only hit one unit but the other units nearby will take casulties or hit the dirt!

The first time I saw this was during testing of a Bulge sceanrio against the AI. I was attacking with a mounted platoon of Germans riding in SPW 251/1's and a single 50 cal opened up on the lead halftrack. Before I knew it 3 of the four halftracks were disabled by that one MG even though it only had a single halftrack targeted!

Madmatt

By the way not to pick on Moriarty but he is as wrong about the Target Next key as can be.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, hell, MadMatt. Go ahead and pick on me. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. That's what it looked like to me on first impression. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Sorry, to any gamers I may have confused with the misinformation.

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 05-14-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

Aw, hell, MadMatt. Go ahead and pick on me. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Sorry to all about the misinformation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double post. grrrrrrrrr.

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 05-13-2000).]

By the way not to pick on Moriarty but he is as wrong about the Target Next key as can be.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, hell, MadMatt. Go ahead and pick on me. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Sorry, about the misinformation.

hiccup. this computer been drinking or something.

------------------

I'm drinkin' wine, I'm eatin' cheese and catching some rays, you know. — Oddball

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 05-13-2000).]