Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Steve Grammont has an SPR look-alike.

Guest Captain Manieri

Guest Captain Manieri

I was watch SPR for my 496,013th time and I was also looking at the Bio and Manifesto and Pics of Steve and Charles too. Am I the only one, but does Steve look like Corporal Henderson from SPR? I think so. I think that's pretty cool. I mean, one's in a WWII movie and the other one is making a WWII game.

------------------

--The Battlefront.com Mascot---

Guest grunto

I thought that some of SPR was cool. How many WW2 movies take the viewer through an entire firefight, start to finish? On the other hand would that lead Tiger 1 have gone down the street without the buildings on either side having first been flushed by infantry? Would that machinegunner in the bell tower have lasted as long as he did? (in squad leader 2nd-level building positions in small towns usually get "waxed" quickly... you can see everyone but... everyone can see you.)

No commander with any level of competence would have ever sent that Marder into street combat.

How about out in the field before the town? It seemed pretty hokey that the halftrack was going about 5mph, loaded full of troops. You would think it would either have been a) going full bore across the open field, full of troops or B) if it were going 5mph that the troops would have been dismounted and walking some sort of a picket on either side of the vehicle.

Also, back at the beach there were some Americans shooting some surrendering germans using 30.06 ammo when there were a bunch of americans also running behind those same Germans. No infantryman who'd been properly trained is going to be shooting prisoners with 30.06 hardball while a bunch of friendly soldiers are running by in the background.

Playing the devils advocate…

I like SPR. Seeing real Tigers in a movie was pretty cool (10 cool points?). Other than Kelly’s Heroes I’ve never seen it before.

As far as the Tiger and Marder are concerned, what if the German commander new he had less than 20 minutes to capture the bridge before what seemed to be the whole American army reached it. Perhaps his men would press for the bridge ignoring or bypassing certain strong points and pushing whatever armor down unswept streets.

And, of course, it’s only a movie.

I kind of liked SPR, but the last 10 minutes of the film were so full of Hollywood cliches that really shouldn't have been included. I thought the Beachhead scene was good & portrayed a snese of utter confusion.

But the end of the film ? Why did they have to make a story out of it ??? Perhaps it would have been better as a documentary. smile.gif

"I like SPR. Seeing real Tigers in a movie was pretty cool (10 cool points?). Other"

-Ted-

Trivia and Info...

Those weren't real Tigers!

(100 cool points for correct awnser:What

were they?)

P.S.:I think SPR at least deserves a credit

for regenerating an interest in WWII.Think about how many copies of CM will sell because

someone saw SPR and it sparked an interest

in WWII.(not that anything as amazing as CM

couldn't sell on it's own..)Maybe,when we're

all playing CM2,3,4,5...We owe SPR a little

bit of the thanks.

------------------

It is no disgrace to be defeated...It is a disgrace to be surprised.

-attr.to Fredrick the Great-

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 03-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 03-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mch:

Trivia and Info...

Those weren't real Tigers!

(100 cool points for correct awnser:What

were they?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

modified T-34's... Just like the ones in Kelly's Heroes.

See the location of the turret, the road wheels, and the general smallness of this "heavy" belie it's heritage. Very good forgery, but a forgery it is. At least it was good enough for one viewing...

Give the movie credit for 'trying' to be realistic. They deserve much credit for this. Even the Thin Red Line had its moments, except for the fact I kept on losing track who the hell was who!?! Wether or not they were T-34's doesn't matter, at least they weren't American tanks with a little cross painted on the side :)

I also hated the ending (ie. the Cavalry arriving in the nick of time, not the emotional part with the old soldier)

If Steve and Charles would have made SPR, they would have built the Tigers from scratch, hired actual German soldiers, and used live ammunition. It also would still be in it's production stage, just kidding! :)

[This message has been edited by Major Tom (edited 03-31-2000).]

Also the Tiger they modelled, was pretty rare in the Western front '44, by then only one Battalion had those early model Tigers with the rubber soled wheels. The late model tigers used in that period, had all steel wheels like in CM wink.gif

But SPR still the only movie that shocked the hell out of me. It is still the best war movie for me. It has impact and a unmatched audio/visual experience. The middle bit is boring, I want action front start to finish!! biggrin.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major Tom:

If Steve and Charles would have made SPR, they would have built the Tigers from scratch, hired actual German soldiers, and used live ammunition. It also would still be in it's production stage, just kidding! :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pre production, probably trying to get the right color red in the Lucky Strikes packs (changed over the years, don't cha know).

I understand that Speilberg had the mocked up turret made from origonal blueprints. Think that they did a good job with the Tiger (and a great job with the cinematography that didn't give away it's lack of heaviosity). At least no one here has complained aobut the sights on the M1 (as was reported on Usenet in the history news groups as a) being a-historical.

Hi All!

Compassion,I've wired the points in question to your account!

"Give the movie credit for 'trying' to be realistic. They deserve much credit for"

-Major Tom-

I hope you didn't take my little trivia question as a slam against the "realism"

of the movie.I just happened across that little tidbit of info a few weeks ago,

and thought I'd share it with the rest of the class.I thought they WERE real!

Hollywood Magic!

..those M1 sights on the other hand..

....someone's going to get a letter about that.... smile.gif

------------------

mch, nothing was taken personally! Of course we have to realize that in just about every single movie something is done wrong. Either historically, physically, philosophically, or grammarically. SPR was a good movie, and fooled 99% of people on it's realism. I don't criticise you for pointing out the flaws, it wouldn't be good for us to accept everything we see on face value. I just wanted to point out the fact that SPR made a big jump from previous movies who would ignore realism by using "blatantly" wrong equipment. It may not be perfect, but, the movie industry is getting there! :)

Exactly.

I personally feel SPR really set a precedent

for war movies.Watching "a bridge too far"

the other night,It seemed so...dated.

------------------

The main thing that springs to mind when watching the older ww2 movies, that it seemed fun to fight in WW2 wink.gif

Not so in SPR ....

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P