UK ISPs, gah! Help!

Hi there

I'm in London, nw10 and I can't get danm surftime, (uk people will know). Although I have a free isp (barrysworld, fast by the way), each call costs me money!

Any ideas how i can get this to not happen?!

I've 'expressed interest' with altavista for their 50 pound yearly 0800 freephone service... but appart from that i have NO idea!

Dynamo

You could try Freeserve 24/7 free access, £10 a month which actually goes towards regional and national calls, so if you make a lot of phone calls in a month you actually get the net calls completely free. I`ve been using it since launch. They are having a few probs in the North (where I am unfortunately)

but I hear the service is excellent elsewhere. www.freeserve.com

I too have been using Freeserve for the totally free internet access. Service in S. England is fine and I understand they are developing their capacity and claim that services all over Britain will be fine by mid September.

We tend to use about £10 worth of national telephone calls per month anyway, so the 24hr 7days a week internet service is genuinely totally free.

You don't get anything for free...

I prefer to stick with Demon. Tenner a month, and you pay for phone bills, but a fast and reliable connection is most important to me (and with free ISPs, this is the last thing you can expect).

I hear surftime is due at the end of the month, but again, the connection reliability will be questionable. The way I look at it is, if the 'net is of value to my existence, I'm willing to pay for it.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

David ,Im afraid (to quote an earlier discussion ) " your blinkered megalomania" is beginning to peep out again.

1) I was not aware you were an expert on all the different isp's and their relative reliability and speed . I have always found my free server to be totally reliable and fast enough for my needs.

2) The guy who initiated this thread was requesting info re free or v. cheap isp's and the rest of us were trying to help. Expense may be of no consequence to you but clearly to many of us ordinary mortals it is a very significant factor.

As far as I can see, your contribution had no real relevance---either in terms of the question posed or in terms of broad expertise re the topic.

I apologise for being so blunt but I get tired of your "let me put you right" contributions.

David/Pcelt:

why don't you just cool down. I'm not a native English speaker so it could be that the finer points of your posts elude me but as I see it you are picking a fight for the sake of it. As this is and was a bbs with a very mature attitude I herewith take a guess that I am not the only one getting annoyed over this constant infighting of yours.

"Live and let live" sums it up pretty well I think.

cheers

Lindan

(okay now shake hands and you can flame me together,hehe... biggrin.gif )

------------------

visit lindan.panzershark.com

member of the Combat Mission webring

Guest AL the red

Freeserve is superb.There were problems a week or two ago (Manchester) but all`s well now.I have had a 2nd line installed and all in all it costs me about £45 a quarter.I get my moneys worth,oh yes!!

Well I've just joined www.24-7freecall.net

It's free to call any time and how

there's no disconnect or anything

20 pounds a month

i like pay-for services.. keeps my speeds up and i don't mind paying a bit, esp. when you play games like counter strike and stuff.

Plus I hear freeserve can be a bit slow, and I hate their web page. I think i must be stupid, i just couldn't find the 10 quid a month deal info anywhere on their crappy site.

PeterNZ

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

and I hate their web page. I think i must be stupid, i just couldn't find the 10 quid a month deal info anywhere on their crappy site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probab ly designed by one of those web-designers who's only qualification is that he/she does not strangle themselves with their cordless mouse...

------------------

Andreas

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Probab ly designed by one of those web-designers who's only qualification is that he/she does not strangle themselves with their cordless mouse...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Andreas, what a splendid way with words you have! I am truly beginning to look forward to your posts. Do keep it up, please.

Michael

UPDATE!

i've joined 24-7 freecall and ooo it's nice and fast!

Here's the deal 20 a month, no catches. Only thing is you have to log into their web page as well as the normal ISP connection. That's a bit off, but it's a part of Telia's, (the telco providor) security gumph or something.. they will be trying to remove it soon too.

Also, it seems, so far, to be a really quick connection. So those wanting to spend all day online, check it out! smile.gif

PeterNZ