Awkward PBEM

Scipio

Why is the PBEM procedure so damn endless?

I give orders, send email

my opponent give orders, send

I watch the movie, send

my opponent watch the movie, send

thats four mail for one turn.

I would prefer this way:

I place units and give my orders for turn 1, send

My oppo. do the same, send.

I watch the movie, give my orders, send

My oppo. watch the movie, give orders, send.

Because the concern that the procedure will actually end up like this:

I give orders, send

Opponent gives orders, generates movie, watches movie, does not like result, re-generates movie, likes results, send.

Someone has ot generate the movie, and the system has to make certain that the person generating is not the person who watches the movie first, otherwise they can re-generate it until they get the result they want.

The current system is a bit tedious, but it ensures that neither player can cheat.

Jeff Heidman

I understand that the procedure should avoid cheating by replaying - but how can someone replay with my proposal? Maybe you missunderstood me. Again:

I watch the movie for turn 1, then give my orders for turn two, send the mail.

My oppo watch the movie for turn 1, give his orders for turn 2, send me the file.

I watch the movie for turn 2....

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 09-27-2000).]

OK, say you send me a turn with your orders on it. I then load it, and input my orders. With the current system, I can't watch the movie until after you have, so I have to send it back to you.

The way you're proposing, there would be times where I could watch the movie *before* I send it to you. The computer takes your orders and mine, "rolls the dice" so to speak and the movie is the result. If I don't like the way a turn played out, I could simply reload the turn you just sent, change my orders, or simply use them again and hope things turn out differently the second time... which can happen. An opponent of mine mishandled a file and wound up sending a previous turn back to me and things were much different.

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

Guest Scott Clinton

Guys...this has been covered literally more times than I can count, and Scipio is right.

There is theoretically a way that CM's PBEM sequence would be 1/3 faster. The only possible drawback is that the same player would generate the movies every turn and the same player would watch them first evert turn. Even this could be fixed by having the players 'swap' rotation every five or ten turns (if that was really deemed a problem).

All this is fine in theory, but how much time would it take to code? I mean they have not even gotten the TCP/IP to work yet. When that is done, and all the major bugs are fixed...how much time will a PBEM 'fix' like this take away from CM2? Is it worth it? I think only BTS knows for sure.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-27-2000).]

Mac users looking for an easy way to send PBM files back and forth, I have an applescript app that works great. Edit the script with Script Editor and set the properties...

property toName : "Scott Karch"

property toAddress : "scott_k@facilitywiz.com"

property GameName : "Combat Mission Turn"

to the person you will be sending the file to and the scenario name. Save the changes and then drop a PBM file onto the app. It will fire up Outlook Express, create a new email, add the PBM file as an attachment, title the email "Combat Mission Turn (& time and tade stamp)" and address it to them. All you have to do is hit send. If you have multiple people you send games to, just duplicate the app and change the parameters for each PBM.

The file is at my FTP site.

ftp://karchfamily.com/ASIP_HD_1/CombatMission/Mail_turn_to_Scott_K.hqx

It's Outlook Express only right now, and I have don't know enought about windows to make a cross platform app. Hope you enjoy it.

BTW, I've never played a PBM yet, so if anyone is looking to play a beginner, let me know. smile.gif

The general order can not be changed without violating "security".

But a way to shorten it a bit could be to plot orders and waypoints for multiple phases in advance including timing (Preplan your moves). But have the opportunity to change it after each cycle, this could shorten things especially in the initial phase at move to contact.

Maybe something for CM 2 ?

Greets

Daniel