O/T- War museums in Colorado/Utah area

Does anyone know of any good war or aviation museums around Colorado, Utah, or northern Arizona, especially ones with a WWII theme? My family is going on vacation there this summer, and I want to be sure we go someplace I want to.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton 1920

Hey Gustav,

If you get to the Salt Lake City area you could visit the Fort Douglas Military Museum. Fort Douglas is located next to the University of Utah up on the East side of the valley. The museum has an outdoor vehicle area and the inside area of the complex. It's not huge but they do have a a few WWII era tanks as well as Vietnam era stuff. They have a Sherman there and a Pak 75 anti-tank gun. They have been in the process of re-modeling the place but they will still let you in and they only ask for a donation of whatever you can give.

Inside you will find a mix of items and photos ranging from the building of the camp in the 1800's till present. It's small but if you are in the area and have a spare hour or so, it's worth it.

As far as aviation museums go we have a rather large one up north of Salt Lake at Hill Airforce base. It does cost something to get into that one but I can't recall the price. They have alot of stuff there and do airshows from time to time as well.

[This message has been edited by Danno (edited 05-15-2000).]

We have one of the best WWII avaition displays on the west coast. It's called the Champlain Fighter Museum in Mesa Arizona. It rocks! They have fighters from WWI to Vietnam. Some of the WWII planes include:

P47D, P51D, F4U Corsair, Me 109E, Fw 190D, Ki-84, P38 and a bunch more I can't remember. All are pristine and actually fly. You should hear the Fw 190D (long nose) vs. the Rolls Merlin in the P51D.

I love that place.

Matt