Fast little bugger SPW 250/9

Kestrl

I purcahsed a couple SPW 250/9 halftracks in my last PBEM game and I've been very impressed the SPW 250/9s performance when engaging enemy halftracks and infantry. I know the SPW 250/9 halftrack has a low amount of 20mm ammo and just a coaxial MG but the 20mm has a high rate of fire which does a excellent job of knocking out enemy vehicles and suppressing infantry. I also think camouflage pattern on the SPW 250/9 is excellent and very historic.

------------------

" When you succeed, give all the credit to others; when you fail, take all the blame." General Dwight D. Eisenhower

I'm also going to prefer the 250/9 over the eight wheeled variant with the 20mm cannon ( 234/1?).

Those HT's are so cheap, that you can almost buy two of them instead of the "Achtrad".

However, they are extremly vulnerable to the dreaded .50 cal and - at close ranges -even to small arms fire and they went through their ammo very quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

Some of the achtrads could be driven as fast in reverse as forward. they also had eight wheel drive AND steering.

So in game turns they would be hard to hit and could slam on the brakes and get the hell out of dodge.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you vote in favour of the Achtrads, Lewis?

I find the look damned cool in the game (and in reality), I've recently seen one "live" in a museum in Koblenz.

Is it true that it has as many forward as backward gears?

Some had a forward driving position and a rear one. Also, with 8 wheel steering, you could swerve as you drove so as to confound any enemy targeting you. The heavy weapons 75mm versions couldnt do this because the gun took up room from the rear driver. I wonder if the puma had this?

I wonder if any are owned by private collectors around the world.

Lewis

I didn't know that they had a positon for a forward and backward driver. I fear I have overseen that in the museum, it was actually the one with the 20mm gun ( 234/1 I think). It in an excellent shape, too as well as all other pieces they have. Unfortunatly, they haven't got a webpage so I have to rely on my pics.

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 09-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I know the SPW 250/9 halftrack has a low amount of 20mm ammo and just a coaxial MG<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The co-ax ain't got much ammo, either....

I really wonder if this vehicle's ammo quantity is correct, especially the 20mm. The turret was the same as that mounted on several armored cars, and those vehicles carried hundreds of 20mm rounds. And you'd think the halftrack's rear body would have more storage space than the cramped interior of an armored car.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html