Churchill AVRE - ROF

In the game the Churchill AVRE is shown as having a normal ROF. In reality, the reloading sequence involved a sliding hatch above the co-drivre's seat, which I suppose considerably slowed down the delay between two shots.

My question is simple : shouldn't the AVRE deserve the "slow ROF" label ? wink.gif

Magnus

------------------

Venez visiter le seul site consacré à Combat Mission en français : Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com

No one is willing to have the ROF of that baby reduced pal.

We are all Brumbar/SturmTiger/Big guns addicts at heart I guess.

Speaking of which, instead of tweaking your AVRE, go play the bloody setup.

biggrin.gif

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Waow, an all french thread.

Ok, I was kiddin' obviously about the AVRE.

It does need tweaking...

Eventhough I am not found of the beast I can see how more "accurate" it will then be.

Imagine, slow ROF, when you want to fire it you have to stand on the tank to load the mortar.

First sharpshooter you stumble accross, you're out of commission.

biggrin.gif

Only thing I love about them is the lil' "earthquake" you have before it actually fires.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Search AVRE...I have done research on it in the past. There were various models of avres...not all were loaded from the outside. The ones in the game are the petard mortar model, which was loaded from the outside. Rate of fire I did NOT research...just the different models. As far as I can determine, 518 of the Churchills were modified to the various Avre [which covered the flail model for some reason.]

For some great pictures of the AVRE with the mortar, look at:

http://www.ukmilmod.force9.co.uk/AVRE/ChurchillL.html

Rune

[This message has been edited by rune (edited 08-27-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rune:

As far as I can determine, 518 of the Churchills were modified to the various Avre [which covered the flail model for some reason.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK, AVRE stands for Assault Vehicle Royal Engineers and covers the whole class of funnies in total, not only the Petard armed ones. The mortar version should correctly be called 'AVRE Petard'. Might be wrong on this though.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Laurent:

And about Slow R.O.F.??????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I just tried it in a QB against the AI, and it got off about two rounds per turn. Seemed pretty slow to me.

Took out a Panther at 41m (dense fog). Panther missed the first shot, AVRE missed the first one too but had target acquisition a lot earlier, so got the second off before the Panther. Nice explosion.

------------------

Andreas

AVRE's are slow enough, thank you! smile.gif

What amazes me is the turret speed... I tried sneaking up behind one with a HT, and the gun turned around within 3 seconds. I never thought something so big could turn so quickly... it was like an elephant making a 90 degree turn while running, and pulling it off with style!

Jonathan

The AVRE had crew of 6, CO, demolition NCO, mortar gunner, wireless operator, driver and co-driver/mortar loader. The co-drivers hatches were modified and replaced with a sliding hatch, to load the petard the turret was rotated until the mortar was over the sliding hatch, the barrel was then 'broken' and the loader, with the help of a loading trough, pushed a bomb vertically into the 'broken' barrel. The barrel was then closed and locked and was ready for firing.

The bomb weighed 40 pounds and had a range of about 80-100 yds. ROF was 2-3 rounds per minute.

AVREs equipped the 5th Assault Regt, the 6th Assault Regt and the 42nd Assault Regt RE. These formed the 1st Assault Brigade, RE of the 79th Armoured Div.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiloIndiaAlpha:

to load the petard the turret was rotated until the mortar was over the sliding hatch, the barrel was then 'broken' and the loader, with the help of a loading trough, pushed a bomb vertically into the 'broken' barrel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, oh. Is there any way possible to model this? It seems really bad if the turret is swung way to far one way or the other (or to the rear) I can see all sorts of complications this could cause... extra time, loss of target 'lock', incoming rounds hitting different turret facings....

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right