Patton takes a leak off a bridge.

That might have been the Rhine river? My best freind's Dad was the Third Army Communications Officer under Patton and I remember when we were little kids he told us that Patton's first message to Bradley and Ike upon reaching the Rhine was:

TO: SHAEF

FR: CDR THIRD ARMY

"I pissed in the Rhine River today"

MESSAGE ENDS

After receiving the message, SHAEF order it rewritten and resent to make it more palatable to the press. Supposedly not too many people know this.

Los

The same or similar photo hangs on the wall in a restaurant in St. Louis called Harry's. I think the owner might have been in the Third Army. The photo is indeed of the general relieving himself into the Rhine, although Patton is so distant in the photo that you don't know what's going on unless you read the inscription on the photo.

There were probably several pictures taken...I work for an ad agency and one of our clients was there and snapped this photo - I scanned the photo so I could do some touch ups for the guy as a favor and that's how I have it.

I've seen the picture a number of places. The bridge, IIRC, was built by an engineer outfit attached to the 5th Infantry Division. Upon hearing that the Remagen bridge had been taken and knowing that Monty was due to throw his army across the Rhine in Holland in a few days, Patton told the 5th to cross the Rhine "on the run". It did, crossing in rubber boats near Oppenheim at night with little opposition. The 5th, my father's division, had developed a reputation for successfully crossing rivers under combat conditions, not an easy task. My dad spoke very little about the war but had no hesitation talking about about the time "Patton pissed in the Rhine."

Cheers

Bill Acton

------------------

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Anon

As an aside, when Patton got to the eastern bank of the Rhine, he slipped on some mud near the bridge crossing and fell on his knees. As many people watched him do this, he resorted to some historical drama to make light of his mishap by grabbing some of the mud with his hands, held it up, and said:

"Thus William the Conqueror!"

Patton cited William due to William's own incident when he first landed on the English shore during the Norman Invasion. I can't recall if he was footbound or fell off his horse, but regardless, he fell and landed face-forward onto the ground. Many of William's soldiers nearby regarded this as a bad omen for the invasion. So William quickly grabbed some dirt (or sand?), held it up, and said, "See, I have conquered England with my own hands!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

I believe he not only pissed in the Rhine, he didn't go that morning so he would have plenty of ammo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was lucky some eagle-eyed German sniper didn`t shoot it off eek.gif

Henri