Mine tiles and stacking thereof

So I'm placing units on the map in my QB and I have some mine tiles (could be anti-tank or anti-personnel). I noticed that I could stack them pretty much, which leads to the question, why would I want to do that? If I stack 2 mine tiles on top of each other do I double the density of mines and hence increase the possibility of killing twice the number of men or vehicles? With anti-tank mines, I can't really see the usefulness of that since it should be rare that two vehicles occupy the same tile at the same time. With anti-personnel mines, I can see the usefulness in limited situations (i.e., use them like an ambush because once spotted the enemy knows to avoid that area (if he's smart that is smile.gif).

Also, if engineers try to clear said stacked fields, does it take them twice as long for 2 stacked tiles?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rattus:

Could you stack AP and AT minefields together? - that would be useful.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, don't know. I think I may have to test some of this later if no one has any decent answers. It's just that my CM playing time is limited and I'd rather play than test. So if someone knows the answers, please don't be shy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

I remember someone asking this question a while back; a search might turn up the answer.

>>I was screwing around last night and placed about a dozen anti-personal minefields overlapping each other about as close as I could (usually you can get 3 close together, 1 in the middle and one each overlapping the outer edges) and then i marched a US company straight into the field.

OH MY GOD! The Horror!!!

in short, YES it makes a difference. When a unit walks through a single minefield they will commonly only take a single casuality. In my HIGH DENSITY field, unit were taking 4 and 5 casulties! They would take 1 or 2 and some would break and run and set off more and more mines as they ran away. VERY GORY!

I LOVED IT!

So yes, it makes a difference! Didn't test on mine clearing of a high density field though.

Also as Charles say's, minefields are defensive area denial weapons and untilizing them in this way is a waste of resources. You should use them to CHANNEL thew enemy where you want them and not count on them to casue large amounts of casulties...

Madmatt

<<

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right you are tankersley, I posted the pertinent info from Madmatt above. Thanks for that tip. I had searched before and didn't find the correct thread. Based on your post, I expanded my search and found the above gem. Appreciate it.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Years of scientific research later.... smile.gif

If you are running through the mines you may well get lots of casualties in stacked minefields. I used the sneak command to approach the mined areas and unless the minefields were exactly on top of one another, the squad would suffer 1 casualty (usually!) and only discover the nearest minefield - even if the minefields were only off centre by a 1/8"! Since my Regular engineers only ever discovered AP mines by treading on them, clearing multiple minefields was slow work.

Each minefield requires 1 demo charge to clear so if there are closely overlapping fields you will need several squads. Sod's law has it that sometimes when you lose a man entering the minefield he is carrying one of the Demo charges & nobody else picks it up! This can leave you stranded in a minefield.

AT mines on roads (Daisy Chains - even if not bought as such(?)) are much more simple to deal with as they are easily spotted & can be cleared w/o use of Demo charges.

Combined AT&AP mines are also possible.

Note that even with NO fog of war, the engineers don't seem to be able to spot the mines unless they walk on them. Even after they do detect the mines, they can sometimes take a long time before they throw the Demo charge to clear it.

I just noticed that squads do not seem to notice (non-daisy chain) AT mines - and since they can't set them off they can't find them 'till a vehicle has alreay detected one in the traditional manner (BOOM!) (Now I know what kubelwagons are for!). Maybe elite engineers are beter at seeing them...

[This message has been edited by Rattus (edited 09-10-2000).]