Sherman running gear

Tiger

Something that can be done to shermans is modify/enhance the running gear on them.

shermanwheels.jpg

The one on the left needs the color hue of the wheels changed to be more of a match.

Sandbags on the hull surfaces can be done but it wont look very good as they will be flat. There is no 3-d modelling for the sandbags. An effect like the bucket on the back of Kwazydog's hi-res tiger can be done with sandbags, but it will be on flat horizontal and vertical surfaces and will appear flat at a number of angles when you look at it. Much like the extra track section on the front lower hull of my hi-res tiger. Looks ok from a distance, but close up you can tell it's really flat.

I like this new running gear. Need to muddy them up a bit.

-john

Guest Scott Clinton

Great stuff, and while I don't always post kudos to you and the other folks at CMHQ I use and advocate almost all the work you guys have done.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sandbags on the hull surfaces can be done but it wont look very good as they will be flat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that if you added sandbags to Shermans ALL Shermans of the same model would get them as they share bitmaps? Is this not the case?

Also, perhaps you might consider modeling something other than sandbags. I have seen pictures of Shermans with everything from poured concrete and boilerplate to timber on Shermans. Perhaps some of those would look better in CM. Just a suggestion.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Very nice work, John. Only thing I can suggest is that you might want to bring out the lug nuts or spoke-flanges (depends on what type of wheel you decide to do) on the road wheels of the VVSS one on the left. OTOH, if you muddy it up some, caked mud would obscure such features anyway.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 09-18-2000).]

Listen to scott tiger... hes got some points there... I think adding sandbags would be ugly but you could consider some poured concrete or something. and y not use tracks as added armor like u did on the Tiger? they often had one track-link on the front in a vertical position... covering much of the front.

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

Guest Rollstoy

Tiger, you wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The one on the left needs the color hue of the wheels changed to be more of a match.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>True, but nevertheless I much prefer the 3D look of the left Sherman because of the nice contrasts and shadows there, whereas I cannot 'read' the 3D structure of the running gear of the right tank. Just a matter of personal taste, I guess! Thanks for the nice examples in any case!

Regards,

Thomm