Scenario design issue...

Did a search didn't find anything...

I have designed an operation depicting a US Armor/Infantry task force advancing against a german defensive sector in depth. The first battle is the US reconnaissance of the german MLR. I have a problem though. Despite the fact that I set up a beautiful rear slope defense for the german player, the AI insists on getting all of the german units out of their holes and moving them forward during my reconnaissance. So basically the first battle is really a meeting engagement between a US scout jeep platoon, a dismounted US rifle platoon, and approximately two german rifle companies supported by some armor. OUCH!!

Am I missing something in my setup? Is there a way to prevent the AI from playing the aggressor like that? There are no Victory Locations in an operation so I know they're not coming after those. I set it up as an assault operation with the allied side as the attacker. What am I missing? And if this is just the way the AI works will it be possible in CM2 to establish a static defense for the AI without having to worry about this?

The AI, just like a human, can do anything it wants with the units that it has on the map. The only static units are the pillboxes and bunkers and dug in vehicles.

The trick is to not give the AI all of his units at once. Two methods to do this that I know of are:

1)Use the reinforcement slots to bring them onto the map at later battles. But you're only limited to 5 slots.

2)Only show part of the map in any one battle. You can set the map size shown in the parameter screen. Example: if your map is 1000 meters by 4000 meters long and you expect the attacking force to advance 1000 meters or less during the first battle, then make the map size 1000 meters. This way the players will only see the first 1000 meters in the first battle. Any defending units in the next 3000 meters will not show and therefore the AI will not be able to move them during the first battle. Experiment with the deployment zones (including the nuetral zone) and padlocking; I'm not sure how these effect the setup of units that will not be on the map during the first battle.

From what your situation sounds like is that you need to mainly do #2.

hope I helped