Landmark Moment In Combat Mission! Check out CMHQ for details!!!!!!!!!! Wed. UPDATE!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Its a landmark alright, a TEXT LANDMARK and its just another 'feel good' feature that Combat Mission has added since the demo came out all those long months ago. What these do is allow the designer to place visible Text Names above certain key areas of the map. Or they just put anything anywhere they want like I have done in todays POTD!!!! biggrin.gif

Also fresh from the oven in Dan Kowaleski's latest tour de force on US Medium Tanks. Today he takes on the M3 Medium Tank and its varients. Its a grognards feast of tables and numbers as well as some very cool battle accounts so CHECK IT OUT!!!! Move it! this means you!!!

Madmatt

Keeping the world safe for anarchy for 87 years!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Madmatt

Just a quick little mention that due to JPEG compression the color of the Landmark Text in the POTD looks MUCH different than it really is in-game. I will try and get a more TRUE picture up soon with a better view taken from an actual scenario, so you can get a better handle on how this looks while playing.

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Offwhite

Saaay, are those Germans in the schreck picture Fallschirmjaeger troops? Their camo and helmets don't look usual.

I like the terrain text feature a lot. Though I have trouble believing Fionn really got his arse kicked there because I don't see his KO'd Tiger surrounded by burning Shermans/Fireflies/M18s/T-34s/M1A1s.

Fionn, I've never PBEM'd you, but if you fight the same way you debate, I'm sure you're one tenacious SOB smile.gifsmile.gif

I know that threads on this forum take unusual turns at the best of times. Now here is one that I would never have considered asking if I hadn't viewed that POTD with the landmarks. eek.gif

Ok...now bear with me, but it's just one of those things that I have seen SO often but have NEVER had it explained (mainly on TV when watching sporting events, from NFL to th winter Olympics!). I need to know!! confused.gif

John 3:16

What in God's name does that mean (excuse the pun, I gather it is a religious reference) and why do people try to get it viewed by as many people as they can?

eg. Typically taking and waving arround a big yellow banner with the words "John 3:16" painted in black to locations where they know a television camera will happen to inadvertantly get it in picture (like behind the goals at a football game) so that many people get to see it.

...or more recently...when creating demonstration screenshots for a pc game!

It's funny how some things that go unexplained early on can be sheleved away in your conciousness but bug us intensely (in proportion to the length of time it has gone unexplained) when it pops up again! mad.gif

Lt. Bull

Guest hunt52

The Gospel of John, Chapter 3, Verse 16:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

(New International Version)

- Bill

Guest Offwhite

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

From the Bible's book of John, third chapter, sixteenth verse. Also, Christianity in a nutshell.

Very nice!

I hope in the future BTS will consider making this available while the scenario is being played. That way, commanders could scribble notes on the map to mark interim objectives, kill-zones, whatever.

(Believe me, I understand why this isn't there now -- I know there's a big difference between adding static labels during scenario design versus adding/deleting/editing labels during game time.)

(pardon me while I debate this with myself.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I hope in the future BTS will consider making this available while the scenario is being played<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess one problem with doing this is that it might give some people a way to not play CM the way it's intended (that "seat-of-the-pants" thing). If CM had this, I'm sure some people would invent some sort of notation for marking last known positions of enemy units, places where units had died (yikes, not the dreaded "dead body" debate!), etc.

This seems like a tricky thing to balance -- on the one hand, it doesn't seem unrealistic, but the problem is preventing the feature from being abused.

Guest Madmatt

IIRC The font changes color to be easier to see depending on the weather conditions and time of day. Also the color in that POTD is all screwed up do to the Jgep compression.

The John 3:16 reference was meant as a joke, I am not now nor have been since my adolesence a proponet of the Christian faith... DON'T ASK as I will NOT discuss my religious convictions on this board...

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-23-2000).]

Guest Captain Manieri

The ONLY "landmark moment in Combat Mission" will be when the game is released. Of course, that's my opinion.