Pre-arrival question on flame tanks

I was going to wait for the game to arrive and find the answer to this myself, but frankly the curiosity is killing me.

Can flame vehicles fire obliquely on the move? I have seen films of Wasps moving quickly across country laying a carpet of flame to the front and side as they go. Also, while reading Andrew Wilson's "Flamethrower", about his experiences in Churchill Crocodiles, he describes the same thing as a matter of doctrine:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The troop ran in, pouring in the flame. A few yards from the trees they split up and ran along the front of the target, flaming obliquely. Whenever he (Wilson - he writes in the third person) saw a gap in the undergrowth he slowed down and gave it a five-second burst. Once he thought he heard screams, but it might have been the creak of tracks on the track guides...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ask this, because, based solely on the demo, this sort of tactic doesn't seem possible with the current game engine.

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 06-24-2000).]

I have had a flame tank fire on the move (a Sherman flame). But most of the time all of the flame tanks will stop and face their target to fire the flame. ALl depends on the situation I suppose.

I suspected as much. I hope someday to see "directional fire" or "spraying fire" or "suppressing fire" or some such idea added to a vehicle's capabilities.

I see two potential uses for such a tactic. One would be to quickly seal off a flank, preventing enemy infantry from infiltrating by creating a firewall. Another would be as described by Mr. Wilson: to quickly suppress a suspected enemy location.

It would be nice if regular vehicles had this capability too, at least for machine gun fire. It ought to be possible to walk a line of fire along the flanks of one's direction of travel without stopping to target specific areas. Rommel did this in France in 1940 as did the Americans in 1945.