Graphics Glitch

I am currently playing a PBEM of "Night at Cheneux," which is supposed to have fog and snow and night and other other nasty things with sharp, pointy teeth. When I enable the weather effects, all I get is a white screen with a couple location names and the compass. I would greatly appreciate any help.

SuperTed

Superted,

mind i remind you, beforee things go horribly wrong, that the handgrenades carried by your troops are NOT...i repeat NOT, Holy handgrenades of Antioch.

Also Tim the Enchanter died the other day while assaulting a heavily fortified castle (died when a cow fell on him).

So he won't be there to assist you.

About your " real" problem: What videocard are ya using and which drivers?

Panzershark,

biggrin.gif I was afraid nobody would catch the Python reference.

Anyway, here are my specs:

pII, 450

ATI Mach 64 4 mb redface.gif

updated drivers.

I am very new to this video card stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

SuperTed

I never do miss a python-reference smile.gif I live, breath and bleed 100% pure Python smile.gif

Back to the problem. You might try to install directx 7, but you probably already did.

I have a friend who had the same problem with another game but WITH an Ati. He solved it by shutting down his Cahce-memory. This i will not recommend since your p450 will turn into a 486 smile.gif

You also might try to go to your video-settings and lower your accelaration.

* right-click on desktop

* choose properties

* choose the tab "settings" then "advanced" * choose the tab between "monitor" and "colors" (it's called "prestaties" in dutch..not sure what that one is in english smile.gif

* and lower the setting

If that doesn't work you might run directx-config.

* goto your directx-folder (usually it's in c:\program files\directx)

* run dxdiag.exe

* you'll see a new menu

* first check the directx files and try to make most of them "certified" by using the latest drivers.

* then go to "monitor-settings" and make sure that d3d/directdraw is turned on. You can do this by wearing tight leather unde...DAMN i mean just use the button next to it smile.gif

* You can also test your 3d settings here by pressing the test-button to the far right.

That's all i can think off right now, let me know if it works.

Good Luck

**edited so i could bash some typos..be prepared to face many more though **

[This message has been edited by PanzerShark (edited 06-22-2000).]

i caught the python holyhandgrenade bit . thou shall count to 3 not 4 not 5 but 3 .also i bit you may find interesting its been said that john cleese is a very boring person in real life nothing like you may think .also if you love python look out for the PYTHONIZER its a desk top set up wall paper mini games screen saver etc .you ll love the mini games and the whole cd is very very funny .

Hey Panzershark,

Thanks for the info. I tried your ideas and none of them helped, so I decided to try an easier fix. I tossed out the CM preferences and reloaded the game at a lower resolution (to compensate for my piece-of-crap video card). Voila! The white-out conditions are gone! I can see! I can see! And what's more, we didn't even have to use the machine that goes "ping."

Thanks again.

SuperTed

ps. The tab between "Monitor" and "Color Management" is "Performance."

Ah man !!! You could have saved me 30 minutes of typing (yes i'm a slow-typer).

Glad it works though smile.gif

Trying to come up with an Python-ending but it's tough...ehm...ehm...mmm.

What about a song?

I'm a CM-fan and i'm oke,

i order all night and i kill all day.

I cut down trees,

for good LOS

I like to kill bad mutha's

I put on greenish clothing,

and hang around in bars.

He's a CM-fan and he's oke,

maybe the mailman brings him a copy today.

I take my tank,

look mighty fine.

Is that a schreck i see?

All i hear is "Panzer ANGRIFF !!!"

And see a rocket fly to me.

Mmm never mind..this is not good smile.gif

Hopefully the mailman is bringing me something god tommorw. Then all this will be mine (what? the curtains?)

AAAAAHHHH KNOCK IT OFF

The Holders of the Copyrights on this script would like to

announce that PanzerShark has just been sacked... AARRRGH!

This thread has been completed in an entirely different style

at great expense and at the last minute by a team of forty or

fifty well-trained llamas.

biggrin.gif

Hi Superted,

This sounds like you are running out of texture memory. Maybe weather effects=more texture memory and you are running out. Have you tried playing at a lower resolution, thereby making more texture memory available?

4MB isn't really very much in today's world.

Hi JohnH,

Actually, I dumped the CM preferences and restarted the game at a lower resolution. That did the trick (until my new video card arrives, that is). Thanks for the help.

SuperTed

Life's a piece-of-**** when you look at it,

but............

Always look on the bright side of life!

(whistling inserted here)