Red Dawn/Amerika Scenario

KwazyDog, The development of new IBM weapons is more worrying that seeing a few armoured divisions crossing the Bering straits ...

I think it's more likely that an enemy of the US would drop a nuke or some biological/chemical agent into a major urban area than send "mongol hordes" to storm Venice Beach smile.gif

Well perhaps a China vs Russia conflict ??? The Chinese are really strapped for oil, just check out who owns major oil fields in South America, Soudan and the Middle East. If I were china, I'd look forward to invading Siberia to secure the natural resources there ...

BTW, Zjirinowski's vision is something like "The north dominates the south" So Europe gets Africa, Russia gets anything south of it (Middle East, India, China ...) US get South America ...

There are some theories that he is a KGB plant, rattling sabers to scare all the others into keeping Jeltsin in power ...

• 10 months later...

I would like to see some korean scenarios or at least a database of units. I am thinking of Task Force Smith, General Dean tank hunting, Chosin, Etc. Great material for scenarios although maybe not a whole lot of tank on tank stuff. CM would show a Chinese human wave attack like no other game...

Yes, I agree. We should be able to match units from CM against

those from CM2. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements

to CM2 being retro-fitted to CM, as is Steve and Charles' plan. smile.gif

as being of celtic stock born in england,id like a free for all,their again i used to get them most saturday nights down town.also if we remember culloden which my mothers forfathers fought in ,it should be highland scots against lowland scot scum who did the atrocitys after culloden.

its a well known highland scot fact that the clearences where carried out ruthlessly by lowland scots and german mercanaries,as the english troops headed back to england after the battle.

In fact a english officer tried to stop the killing of prisoners but he was sent packing.

The lowland scots who became the black watch

in the future where guilty of the clearences which saw highlanders sent as slaves to the west indies,their again we used to hang 9 year old boys for stealing spoons at that time.

If the U.S. were ever to be attacked directly it would be with nukes. A conventional attack would bog down immediately. The Second Amendment is very powerful but if and when it were ever repealed the biggest problem would be domestic not international. It was designed to check an over reaching govt not stop invading hordes.

But it would make em think twice.

Guest Commando

If the U.S. is ever going to be attacked, how about this scenario:

1) The "attacker" hacks into important government security files and computers; disables important computers that handle city services (like electricity, water, transporation, communications); etc. Basically disabling American "command and control".

2) Just one nuclear-powered sub off the coast of America could deliver 160 nuclear bombs (that's 16 MIRV'd missiles - 16 x 10). If just 10 of America's major cities were knocked out - how much fight would be left in the country? And suppose that most of these bombs were neutron bombs (kills people, but leaves buildings intact and reduces contamination). Again, with N.Y., L.A., Chicago, etc destroyed what kind of resistance would remain in the country?

3) If we think America could never be vulnerable, or that it could never fall from its position as a superpower, means that we have completely failed to understand the lessons of history. All of the great superpowers of the past have fallen: Babylon, Athens, Persia, Rome, Spain, British Empire (now only a shadow of its former glory), etc. And in the past great nations had their "super weapons" or "super shields" (such as "the Great Wall of China", the "Greek Phalanx", the "British Fleet", the "Maginot Line", etc).

Freedom is never "free"; it demands eternal vigilance.

------------------

You're playing a wargame, when suddenly you throw yourself on the floor and yell "No! Take me!", when you realize your favourite unit was just destroyed by the computer AI.

[This message has been edited by Commando (edited 07-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patrick:

Well perhaps a China vs Russia conflict ??? The Chinese are really strapped for oil...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone knows all succesful games has to have americans in it. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

BTW, Zjirinowski's vision is something like "The north dominates the south" So Europe gets Africa, Russia gets anything south of it (Middle East, India, China ...) US get South America ...

There are some theories that he is a KGB plant, rattling sabers to scare all the others into keeping Jeltsin in power ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, Jeltsin's been in retirement for half a year already. And his brain has been in retirement for couple of years.

But Zirinowski, jeezuss. I know there's no way he'll get the power, but still. Finland-Russian history being what it is, I sure wouldn't like to see any more dictators behind the border.

BTW. There's no right way to spell russian names, unless you use russian alphabet.

Guest Mirage2k

I just read a book called "Arc Light" by Eric L. Harry. It was written in 1994, and is a good read. I'd recommend it for all of you guys who are interested in these "doomsday" scenarios.

A brief opening plot synopsis:

In the book, the Russia and China are at war. The war isn't going so well for either side, and it's at a stalemate, though Russia seems to be losing their grip on the situation. So, just to get the damn thing over with, they decide to nuke China, blast some holes in their lines with their tactical arsenal, and pour armor in through the gaps. Of course, not to cause an international incident (NORAD would get a little excited if a whole bunch of missiles suddenly popped up on their screens), the Russians secretly inform the American president first. The President, who doesn't want to have the murder of a lot of innocent people on his conscience, decided to tell the Chinese, who use the time to fuel and generate their own missiles and fire at Russia.

Meanwhile, one of those hard-line Russian generals who wants a return to the "glory days" of the Soviet Empire has killed the Russian general staff and taken control of the nuclear communicators. He had not been told of the planned nuclear attack on China. He's holed up in his bunker, watching the American forces go on alert on CNN, and missiles are raining down on Moscow. He assumes that they are American, and fires his nukes at the U.S. (Luckily for us he fires the "counterforce" plan, which targets U.S. nuclear capability, and not major cities.)

The rest of the book involves the U.S retaliatory strike, and the war that follows (which no one in either military seems to want, but happens because of political and popular pressure). And since it's set in the mid-1990s, it's pretty obvious who comes out on top. smile.gif

-Andrew

Inability to handle our liquer? That might be because us Canadians have more than 1.2% alcohol in their beer! We perfer our water from taps, not beer bottles... tongue.gif

Invasion from Russia? I don't think so. See the movie "Canadian Bacon" and you Americans will realize your TRUE enemy from the north biggrin.gif

You didn't think that the CN Tower was just a big tourist item, eh?

[This message has been edited by Major Tom (edited 07-04-2000).]

Guest Mirage2k

Okay, so we've all agreed that a Soviet/Russian invasion was/is impossible. But what about WWII aliens???? wink.gif

Don't laugh...I actually read a series of books on this once. I think they were called "The World At War," by Harry Turtledove. Basically, in the middle of WWII (I can't remember exactly when, but the Manhattan project was underway, and they hadn't yet found a site for the pile...sometime in 1944 maybe?) an alien race bent on world domination comes down and expects little resistance (because of the time delay in space communications, their probes were sending back images of humans fighting on horseback). They start nuking major world capitals, and invasion forces come down on the continents (one starts up in the American midwest, I think near Chicago). It was actually an interesting couple of books, since the aliens' technology was about like ours now, so it was basically WWII technology vs. 1990s American technology. In the end, I think Russia saved itself by developing the A-bomb first, with stolen German equipment and material. Japan was already toast.

A completely random series, I know, but it was oddly entertaining to read about Shermans going up against the equivalent of an M1 Abrams, or Spitfires against the equivalent of F-15s and MiG-29s. smile.gif

-Andrew

[This message has been edited by Mirage2k (edited 07-04-2000).]