How does it work on a new apple G4?

Thinking about the purchase as I don't think it will work on my

motorola clone - 180 processor, decent ram but older OS...

Anyone with any experience?

PS - glad we won the war of the dead bodies....

It works BEAUTIFULLY. I have never had a turn take more than 5 seconds to calculate - and that was with a whole lot of units and a very complex tactical situation. Typically, it takes about a second for AI and resolution. And the graphics look great - much better than my friend's P3 400 with a decent graphics card.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

I can second that recommendation. It runs very smoothly on a G4 ... there's a world of difference even going from a G3 to a G4. Graphics look much better, and the game runs like lightning. Only downside: Finding enough time to play! Sleep is the first victim of CM.

Guest Big Time Software

buddy,

FYI, 90% of Combat Mission was built on a creaky old 180MHz PowerMac 8500. So even the old workhorses can run CM. But I sure wouldn't turn down a G4 on a silver platter! smile.gif

Charles

So, do you think my old Motorola clone with a 180 processor and system 7.5.1 will run it? I should be able to let you know tomorrow (downloaded the demo in segments on a slow modem last night - very painful.) I have a feeling the game sprockets thing (only supported by system 8.0?) will be a problem. Hopefully I can find a way around the problems. Thanks for all the support!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy:

So, do you think my old Motorola clone with a 180 processor and system 7.5.1 will run it? I should be able to let you know tomorrow (downloaded the demo in segments on a slow modem last night - very painful.) I have a feeling the game sprockets thing (only supported by system 8.0?) will be a problem. Hopefully I can find a way around the problems. Thanks for all the support!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your graphics card makes more of a difference. Due to my unusual configuration, I have attempted several way to play it. I am having a screwy problem where it crashes if my backside cache is enabled. Using a ATI XClaim 128 PCI card there is negligible difference with only the calculation scroll taking longer when the backside cache is disabled. Moving around the screen, setting moves and watching the moves is fine with the ATI card.

Using a Voodoo3 2000 without RAVE, in software mode is horrible even when tweaking my system for speed, 315Mhz.

If you are going to spend the least amount of money, go for a graphics video card that supports RAVE. The earlier Voodoo1 & 2 may do this. Later Voodoo than 3 should do this.

Guest Big Time Software

I upgraded from a PowerComputing 210 when the G4s first came out. I have the 400 and CM screams on it smile.gif Pford is correct though. The graphics card is CRITICAL. I used to run CM on a Voodoo1 board on my old 210 and it ran just OK (and that was a year ago!). Then I got a ATI 128 card and the imrpovement was night and day. But it is still a joke compared to how fast it goes on my G4. IIRC overall the speed difference was a little over 10 times greater on the G4. This was done by timing certain things like loading scenarios and crunching the same exact turns.

Steve

Buddy, what kind of processor is it? A 604/180 should work fine, but a 603 may be a little slow. You'll definitely need MacOS 8.1 or later for the Sprockets, though.

Either get that G4 or an ATI card and an OS upgrade.

------------------

"Grab your weapons, get up and fight!"