Your best trap/ambush

I thought it would be fun if each of you were to recall the best trap you ever spung on an opponent...you know, the kind you are really going to rub in on many occasion. Here is mine:

I was playing CHANCE as the german. It was my first try at this scenario and my first PBEM game. Both myself and my opponent/brother had no previous knowledge of the setting and that makes it pretty enjoyable. Anyway, I was pretty appalled at quality of the troops I had under my command (conscripts???). However, there were two veteran squads and a first class HQ. Those two squads and their HQ alone were to hold the church while the rest would set up in the hill on the right flank.

They held their ground pretty well under heavy fire but I knew this couldn't last forever. So I set a trap. I ordered them to pause 45 sec and then to start crawling awsay. To my opponent, it looked as if both squad had broken and he sent an entire company to storm the church. At the start of the turn, I asked my veterans to turn around and start spraying which they promptly did...after all, they were veterans.

Of the 40 amis that stormed the church, 2 made it back to their lines. My losses <4 men 8-). That game is still ongoing but I think I have the initiative now.

Entilzha

Reisberg as German Defender

There were 2 components to the trap:

1) one of the 88s in the village, left

of the road, right behind the first row

of buildings, with limited LOS to the road.

2) Yellow platoon (with panzershrek)

remainded where at default deployment.

Both the Platoon and 88 were set to fire

on the same ambush spot: 40m in front of the

infantry squad. (about 170m from the 88)

One of the Shermans came rolling down the

road - right into the ambush...no surprise.

Here's the interesting part:

The panzershreck unit misses! eek.gif

The other squads open fire.

Panzershreck reloads as the turret rotates.

Fire! BOOM! <thump> confused.gif

Tank on fire... oh well.

Get the troopers out of there before the

second Sherman get LOS!

What happened: The second rocket missed!

It was a shell from the 88 that took out

the Sherman.

Everyone (me and apparently the AI) thought

it was the panzershreck. So...

The AI fast moved a second Sherman into

postion to destroy the retreating infantry,

accidently providing a perfect broadside shot

to the 88... Which richoceted!! :eek frown.gifan 88 at 160m!)

Fortunately the Sherman crew was a bit

shaken by that and their return fire hit a

building! A second shot from the 88 knocked out the Sherman.

Maybe not the cleanest ambush, but it sure

was fun to watch!

CM is unbeatable for getting you involved in the game during the playback sequences!

The anxiety I felt seeing the Panzerschrek

team miss twice and the Sherman surviving the 88 was amazing!

...Dalton

My best ambush is showed as stand alone movie in CMHQ. In Last Defense as USA, I put two squads hiding at the adjacent sides of the right two stories building, and a MMG firing from the second floor. One entire german platoon try to swarm the MMG and got a quick dead in the first floor. Was fun. I killed the Tiger in the same turn also. But I lost the game mad.gif

Ariel

Played Reisenburg vs the AI for fun the other day (got through 30 turns in about an hour!). Anyway, I had one of my 88's get 2 Shermans, 2 Mortors and 10 men, then the Amis bombarded it to death with heavy artillery. My squads killed around 50%+ of the American infantry with only suffering 25% casualties. It was sweet.

It is appropriate that mine follows the previous one because my best one was against Major Tom in LD. I was playing the amis and one squad of twelve near the corner of the wall in front of the church absolutely butchered and entire platoon of Panzergrenadiers (3 full squads and an HQ unit) for absolutely no loss.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game didn't go as lucky for me.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Guest Schuggerbaby

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Black Sabot:

Check out my earlier post titled " battlefield hero". It describes a bazooka team that accounted for 3 German vehicles in LD. Unfortunately it was not a perfect ambush because he was blown away. However he was miraculosly resurrected when i re-booted!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was the same Cpl Shealy and his his Bazooka team you're speaking of that in my LD scenario manages to kill two Stugs, crippled the Tiger and toog out one haltrack. I ordered him and a second team to run and hide in the stone building ne of Shealy's initial deployment. The germans became aware that something fishy was going on, spotted and eleminated the second Bazooka team, but didn't recognize my hero. I think the AI was as surprised as i was as they leave him alone for the rest of the day (actually i think they feared him)and he survives without a scratch. Since than i love this precious little guy and become a little frustrated when the germans kill him.

Schuggerbaby