• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale is the latest for me. It is dry hopped so has a very strong aroma and crisp bitterness well balanced with a good malty undertone of sweetness. Great beer.

Stuka! we are like blood brothers or something. I was heavy into the Home Brew scene prior to getting the old sperm bank pregnant with twins. Won several ribbons in local contests - including a best of show with the third batch I ever made - a simple pale ale. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE WORLD AS GOOD AS A BEER YOU MADE YOURSELF!

I used to get really silly with some of the ingredients. Cloves and berries and tea and a bit of fur off the cat...it seems the brewing days are over though...sniff (wipes tear from eye)

Wow I really am talking and can't shut up.

Peng

------------------

I'm talking and I can't shut up!

Being Border Bill I have to diplomatically select my brews of choice. For my cross-border Canadian brethren I hoist a Yukon Gold from the Yukon Brewing Co. in Whitehorse followed by that same company's pale ale. I follow that with an Alaskan Amber. Then I walk (stagger?) down the street to the Goldrush Saloon where I hoist Skagway Brewing Company's finest--a hefeweissen, a pale ale, their red ale, and best of all their fine porter. All brewed on the premises. During the winter, alas, when all the tourists go home and almost all the local businesses shut down and the road through the pass to Whitehorse is closed; I get by on cans of Bud and Busch. Life is harsh in Skagway in the winter! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by BorderBill (edited 06-27-2000).]

Tres Monts golden ale from Flanders, France. Better than the big name Belgian beers and cheaper too. Reminds me of sipping brews on the Gran Place.

Molson Golden and Ice otherwise.

As to drinking alone, the company is always agreeable and you always win the arguments. Why do people who don't like beer post on the "Beer" thread anyway? Perhaps they are the ones with no other life.

------------------

Res ipsa loquitur

Give me a westcoast (US) pale ale with a heavy dosage of Cascade hops. Centennial hops will do in a pinch, but nothing beats the citrusy-pungency of Cascade. When not drinking my own, I'll gladly quaff a few of Sierra Nevada's.

Sometimes a good British ESB hits the spot. And when it gets cold outside, a thick creamy Guiny is nice. And on the rare occasions I prefer a malty brew, a good Scotch ale is my choice.

Ah, beer. No wonder the world's oldest recipe was for this heavenly beverage.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

It would be Jever Pils if I could find it in my poor, benighted state. Usually, my beer is a Sapporo Super Dry or some such Japanese premium dry beer. I'm also particularly fond of a good Weissbier with a slice of lemon in the summertime.

Guinness is great, but I only drink it in Ireland or England. It's just not the same anyplace else.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

It would be Jever Pils if I could find it in my poor, benighted state. Usually, my beer is a Sapporo Super Dry or some such Japanese premium dry beer. I'm also particularly fond of a good Weissbier with a slice of lemon in the summertime.

Guinness is great, but I only drink it in Ireland or England. It's just not the same anyplace else.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ethan - this is getting scary. Apart from the statement about Guiness in England, I would just sign off on what you wrote with no change.

You can only drink Guiness in Ireland, preferably on the west coast. Those Dubliners have gone the way of the English when it comes to getting it into the glass. Sapporo Super Dry? Is that new? Methinks you mean either Asahi Super Dry or Sapporo Black Label (both of which are based on German recipes, BTW)

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 06-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Ethan - this is getting scary. Apart from the statement about Guiness in England, I would just sign off on what you wrote with no change.

You can only drink Guiness in Ireland, preferably on the west coast. Those Dubliners have gone the way of the English when it comes to getting it into the glass. Sapporo Super Dry? Is that new? Methinks you mean either Asahi Super Dry or Sapporo Black Label (both of which are based on German recipes, BTW)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, mebbe you can or will only drink Guinness in Eire, but as for me I'll drink it wherever and whenever I can.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

Glad to see some Real Ale bores/connoisseurs have made their way here wink.gif When I'm in the mood its got to be Old Peculiar from Yorkshire. Cold Guinness will do nicely on a hot day. Those dark stouts and porters are the best. Andreas, you have fallen for our Brit beers? At a recent Real Ale festival I really enjoyed some German Wheat Beer (Real Lager?)

God I havent seen a Sapporo since I wasonteh west coast eons ago

I dont drink much anymore but

Capt Morg is my drink of choice for liquor with Absolute and Stoli a close second

The For Beer Id have to say

I like any brit cider especially StrongBow

Lets see I like Bass Ale , Harp, Bitburger Pils, Grolsh, Corona, Spaten Light.

Probably more but those are the primaries smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeO:

Andreas, you have fallen for our Brit beers? At a recent Real Ale festival I really enjoyed some German Wheat Beer (Real Lager?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hook line and sinker...

Wheat beer is not Lager, but a bottle-fermented brew using wheat instead of barley, I think. Originally (until about 12-13 years ago) mostly available in Bavaria. Comes in Crystal (not bottle-fermented, no yeast in the bottle), Cloudy and dark-cloudy variants. Taste is sweatish, the yeast has to be poured into the glass. As Ethan pointed out, you have it on a nice hot summer day, preferably outside, watching the girls go by, with a slice of lemon in it. Nice stuff.

------------------

Andreas

umm... beer....

I'll take a nice Guinness, If I'm broke killians red is ok in a bind.

I prefer my Friend O'brians home brew. He makes some great Mead. The trick is not being cheep. Use good honey. We find that clover honey works best.

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

If we were independently wealthy, wouldn't a beer-sampling/spirits tour of the world (with CM on high-powered laptops, of course) be a wonderful thing?

Perhaps, MrPeng would be tour leader.

Ahhh, the possibilities are endless.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 06-27-2000).]

You can tell where everyone lives from what beer they consider the best.

I noticed the Yuengling drinker, you must be from Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

I personally prefer anything from the Deschutes brewery, in Bend, Oregon.

But nothing beats a local brewpub's fresh IPA.

The Pacific Northwest has some of the best beers in the world, in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>wolters pilsner,ace beer drank that for 5 years when in wolfenbuttel,so for foreign ill go for that,pity i cant get it here in england<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. Talk about a small world.

So I assume the "Salzdahlumer Strasse" has a special meaning for you ?

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

Fosters, carling, stella artiose, John Smiths, Stones, (creamflow and ordinary) Bass, Batemans XXXB,Guiness Extra Cold and Ordinary, Directors Special Ale(that stuff 'll screw you up), Woodpecker, Strongbow, Holsten Pills, Fosters Ice, Budweiser,(yuck!) Jackdaniels, Smirnoff Ice + Smirnoff Vodka, Several turbo shandies, (smirnoff ice + a half a pint of lager:) Glenfiddich... damn I'm out and its only 11:15 AM...

WHERES MY COPY OF CM? I was charged for it on the 16th, its the 28th now, I know England is far away to you yanks but seriously, I'm trying to be positive here but I preordered 2 months ago!

>:-(

(that was a joke incase any sarcasticly incapable zelots misquote me:)

[This message has been edited by Striker (edited 06-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Striker (edited 06-28-2000).]