Pantherarticle

Hi folks !

Just want to let you know.

Last night I´ve uploaded my Pantherarticle to my page.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/pzpanther/pzpanther.htm

I hope I can give you some usefull information and some kind of online reference with it.

Let me know what you think.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/

[This message has been edited by DesertFox (edited 02-16-2000).]

Man! that was good reading.

I especially liked the Panther in action link (the last story, what a warstory!).

Very nice content, it sure has a place by my bookmarks.

[This message has been edited by jocke (edited 02-16-2000).]

Guest R Cunningham

Very nice.

makes my nahverteidigungswaffe page look like a bowl of meal worms....

About the list of publications in the Pantherfibel, do you know of any place they can be found?

Also notice the manual dates from july 44 but there is no mention of the Nahverteidigungswaffe, while the Tiger B turret manual from january 44 talks about it in some depth.

Thanks guys

I´m glad you like it smile.gif

R.Cunningham,

the listed "Dienstvorschriften" can, if at all, be found either at the Bundesarchiv Freiburg, or Bundesarchiv Koblenz, or Panzermuseum Munster or Wehrtechnische Ausstellung Koblenz.

I think the best will be to phone or email them.

Yes I know there is a lot of information lost or at least forgotten about the Nahverteidigungswaffe. The reasons might be that both it was only tertiary armament of the tanks (not much more than a smoke discharger, which could be used to fire Kampfpistolen-rounds through the breach) and it wasn´t consequently fitted to tanks due to both production failures of the NahVw and due to shortages of the NahVw. Lot´s of tanks left the production plants with a steelplate fitted on the radius intended for the NahVw.

What I really want to lay my hands on is the D 655/2 Gerätebeschreibung und Bedienungsanweisung zum Turm (PANTHER)

Helge

------------------

- The DesertFox -

I know what I'm going to be reading the next couple of days. smile.gif What a fantastic site!

The penetration table for the Panther is really frightening. If you have a flank shot on a Panther, you're in good shape, but if you see one facing you -- Eeek! eek.gif

Good grief, was Barkmann lucky or what? The parts about using the smoke generators was interesting. This wasn't the kind of generators that modern tanks use, where they spray diesel oil on the engine block, was it? Is this in CM?

-- Mike Zeares

Mike

Yes, Barkmann had luck no question, he was a lucky devil during the war (look at the Manhay story) But at the so called "Barkmann corner" several parameters were on his side. He had the perfect position, the element of surprize, superior armor, a good trained crew, the confusion of the enemy,.....The God of War was with him wink.gif

Perhaps I haven´t understood your question regarding the use of smoke? The smoke that was present at the "Barkmann Corner" was due to the brewed up enemy tanks and petroleum tankers. What do you mean with smoke generators? The germans only had Smoke candles (Nebelgranate39)?

The method you describe AFAIK was a post-war invention of the russians, e.g. the T-72 has a similar system.

Helge

------------------

- The DesertFox -

Desert Fox,

I reread Barkmann's story. He was talking about smoke grenades. My mistake.

I wish my German wasn't so rusty, so I could read the Panther Fibel. I'm going to try anyway.

Kurz,

Thanks for the clarification. Learn something new every day. Heck, I was a tanker, and I didn't really know how that worked. I just knew it made a hell of a lot of smoke.

-- Mike Zeares

Guest Germanboy

Thought it would be a nice touch to have the opposite side's impression of the Panther in here, too.

From 'The Sharp End - The Fighting Man in WWII' by John Ellis, p. 128-9. This particular piece is from the discussion of German armour superiority.

The following pre-D-Day conversation was recorded by Andrew Wilson, himself a Churchill commander [...]:

-What do the Germans have the most of?

-Panthers, the Panther can slice through a Churchill like butter from a mile away.

-And how does a Churchillget a Panther?

-It creeps up on it. When it reaches close quarters, the gunner tries to get a shot off the underside of the Panther's gun mantlet. If he's lucky, it goes through a piece of thin armour above the drivers head.

-Has anyone ever done it?

-Yes. Davis in "C" Squadron. He's back with headquarters now trying to recover his nerve.

-What's next on the list?

-Tigers. The tiger can kill you from a mile and a half.

-And how does a Churchill get a Tiger?

-It's supposed to get within 200 yards and put a shot through the periscope.

-Has anyone ever done it?

-No.

Ellis, John, . - The sharp end : the fighting man in World War II. - Rev. ed. - London : Pimlico, 1993. - 0712658912

------------------

Andreas