CD Required?!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

As I grew up playing games on a C64 with the 1541 drive, I fail to see a reason for all the fuss with opening/inserting/closing one's CD tray... patience is a virtue; anyone else remember when a three-minute load time was short?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, the 1541. Luxury. The TRS-80 with a cassette drive - THAT was slow...

Reading this thread (don't ask me why) makes me at least appreciate my iMac. Has a nifty little feature in it's disk copy application that creates an EXACT duplicate of the CD on your hard disk. So when I play CM the actual CD stays in it's case in storage and never has to be used for authentication.

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

Guest ACTOR

Try an Atari 400 with a tape drive...talk about slow! My grass would grow faster.

The sad thing is, I spent hours waiting for stuff to load and I thought it was great.

Atari? Luxury.

On my ZX-81, I usually wrote a quick hex loader and manually recoded the game in Z80 hex codes each time I wanted to play.

And every 10 minutes the machine crashed for no reason, and I had to start all over again.

Oh well.

Still waiting for the game. Road warrior as I am, I really hate having to use CDs.

C.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

As I grew up playing games on a C64 with the 1541 drive, I fail to see a reason for all the fuss with opening/inserting/closing one's CD tray... patience is a virtue; anyone else remember when a three-minute load time was short?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C128 with 1541 drive wink.gif

My buddy in old country still has it stashed away somewhere for my return..

Anyone remembers a game called Conflict Vietnam ?

used to love that thing... wink.gif

My 1541 drive had to run for about 30 minutes before it warmed up enough to read anything.. it was hilarious wink.gif Tape players were faster then that thing..

The CD protection is a pain in the rear. I have to put it in, start up the game, and then take it out to put in a music CD for atmosphere (grin).

The thing is, there are tons of sites that tell you how to bypass the protection or supply utilities, or patches, that accomplish the same thing. Any good developer can simply run the game from a debugger and figure out how to hex edit the .EXE so that the CD is not required. CD protection is not overly difficult to bypass.

I am glad to hear that the CD stops being required after awhile (I assume it works like it did for Flight Commander 2). I can live with playing "CD swap" but I question the point of adding protection that, with the right tools or knowledge, can be bypassed with a little effort anyway....