Grenades

I really don't think how simulating a slightly more powerful grenade. At CM's scale a meter or at the most 2 meters would make much of a difference. I'm not saying it would be bad but I'm sure it's not worth it anyway.

It would be interesting if it were included but then one could argue that they should include different types of grenades for each unit. I would really much rather see...well anything go in to the first release then this.

I personally really wanna see things like the Brumbar and AVRE in. Of course better house, smoke and fire graphics should be placed above those.

Just my opinion. Thanks for tuning in.

Colin out and worrying that this post will be disregarded because of my age frown.gif

------------------

Visit my Combat Mission for Mac page! With all off CCJ's tweaked textures for Mac!

cm4mac.tripod.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Just a quick question.....

Are both German grenades and American grenades modeled in the game? I was to believe that the German grenades were more powerful than the American ones and does CM simulate this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I can tell, no. The Germans used two main types of grenades and so did the Americans.

I'm a numbers junkie, but I think it would be clutter if they showed it. On the other hand, it would be nice to know the range and maybe the blast FP that is being modelled.

Also, note that pistols are being generically modelled as well. One might be able to argue for a point or two difference here or there, but why bother?

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

Just a quick question.....

Are both German grenades and American grenades modeled in the game? I was to believe that the German grenades were more powerful than the American ones and does CM simulate this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't answer your question accurately. But I was suprised and pleased as punch to see an American sqd fighting in a building in LD, actually THROW a grenade and clear the two remaining Germans with it.

I didnt realize that grenades were modeled and I was quite happy to see them. However, that was the ONLY time I had seen them...and since that event (which happened last weekend) I have been watching and have yet to see a repeat. But they are there and DO work.

Play CE as the Germans and charge some American platoon with your SMG platoons.

Not only will the MP40s make quick work of the Yanks at 20 meters, but you should see lots of grenades.

Just yesterday, I close assaulted a Sherman with a SMG squad. I was getting desperate and I figured I had nothing to lose.

One grenade, one immobilized Sherman. I was hoping he would shoot his faust at the tank.

Jason

Guest John Pender

I was under the impression that it was the American grenades that were more powerful and that the German grenades were lighter the advantage being that they were able to be thrown a greater distance?

German "stick grenade" HE weighed 1.36lb

Bursting charge: .356lb

German "Egg" type HE weighed 8oz

Bursting charge: 4oz

Anyone have data on American grenades?

Take care

John

[This message has been edited by John Pender (edited 01-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Pender (edited 01-22-2000).]

I believe that the German stick grenade or potatoe masher was easier to throw not due to its weight, but due to its design. Having a handle to throw it with which give increased leverage.

Also the German stick grenade relied on the explosive blast to kill/injure its intended victims since it used a thin casing for the explosive head, with the egg type grenades the casing was made with a thicker casing designed with scoring or made with a "sectional" design in order to produce more shrapnel.

von Manstein

Guest Big Time Software

I'm not sure if the blast effect is differently modeled. My guess is that it is not. We aren't modeling each type of grenade for each nation as that is a bit more detailed than it needs to be wink.gif What we did do is make the German theoretical grenade range a tad bit longer than the Allied. Yes, the spud mashers could be tossed a good deal further due to the handle design. However, in most practical situations the range is going to be about the same due to other combat elements.

Steve