tank duels

i'm wondering if this happens to anyone else. during a one on one tank duel mine and the enemy tank blast away for a minute or two, ricochet here, immobilisation there, and then BANG they get eachother at the same time. i know this is completely random chance but it has happened so many times ive lost count, its quite ammusing usually as it completely changes the course of the battle usually. anyone else found this happening

------------------

Never trust a rabbit. They may look like a child's toy but they eat your crops.

(Hungarian proverb)

Guest Michael emrys

Same here. And I've even got an idea why.

I've noticed that each action phase appears to be broken up into a certain number of firing impulses. This may not have been intended by design, but is a natural consequence that weapons of a certain type tend to have the same or similar rates of fire.

So I notice that all my infantry fires their rifles at the same time, pause, then do it again.

The same thing applies to heavier weapons, such as tanks. If they fire, say, every five seconds, they'll fire on the same second.

This may be a simplification to make the programming easier, but it does tend to have some slightly odd consequences sometimes.

Michael

I don't think that the "impulse" effect yu think you are seeing is anything programed in, but just coincidence. I once did a test back in the old beta demo examining what effect experiance levels had on rate of fire. It shortened the interval between shots, of course, but the rate of fire is not a static number (Vet M4 fires every 9 seconds, ect) but rather more like a range of time. time between the 1st and 2nd shot might be 10 seconds, but the time to get the 3rd shot off, for the exact same tank, might stretch to 13 seconds.

When you factor in the different ROF for the different tank types, the effect of experiance, the difference in time where tanks gain spotting on thier enemy, and so on, it pretty much wipes out any pattern of "firing impulses"

I've had countless tank engagements so far, but only a handful of simultanious kills.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

The same thing applies to heavier weapons, such as tanks. If they fire, say, every five seconds, they'll fire on the same second.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think CM events follow such a measurable timing.

I played a game of Chance Encounter in which my STuG was knocked out *after* destroying the opposing Sherman.

I watched the movie very closely. My STuG fired. The Sherman then fired just a hair before the StuG's shell hit. The Sherman's shot knocked out my STuG - but the Sherman was dead by the time it arrived.

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada