Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Will CM2 model tanks sinking in marshes?

Rebane

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rebane:

Have not seen this in CM yet

However in Northern Russia (Ust-Luga river and along Narva river in Estonia) and Belorussia there were extensive marsh areas and I think Germans lost there some heavy tanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the question would be, how often did this actually happen? CM doesn't model tanks being struck by lightning, either, which I'm sure did happen at some point, but not with enough frequency to be worth modelling.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Personally, I was wondering if CM2 was going to model lightining strikes on armored vehicles. It's rather scarey to be riding around in a large hunk of metal during a thunderstorm. And ofcourse, it was during those thunderstorms when the tanker crews had to run out into the open to avoid hiding under a tree where lightining might strike. Keen Soviet gunners catching onto this habit, began to rattle sheets of tin while spraying water into fans in order to flush the German Tigers out. The trick was know as the Boltinski Uparski. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-27-2000).]

Tanks do get bogged down and immobilized in mud already, and I don't think the crew would just drive into a boghole which would be the only way to sink within the CM time frame. Exception: when withdrawing and not having gas for tanks, I would rather sink them to swamp than give my enemy a clear picture of how much equipment I have left behind.

Sinking through ice of lakes would be more essential, IMO.

Actually a lighting strike on a tank would not have any afect on the crew (unless the TC was unbuttoned and had a hand outside the tank). This is for the same reason that being in your car durring a thunderstorm is safe. Electrical charge (and consiquentally current) stays on the outside of any hollow metal object. Now the subsequent magnetic flux would probably mess up any electronics in the tank, but a modern MBT is sheilded from EMPs so it should be ok and an old Panther/Sherman doesn't really have much electronics to speak of. BTS made the right decision in not modeling lightning strikes on tanks. Lightning on infantry is a whole nother issue. (those fools *love* to stand under trees!)

Way off topic smile.gif

--Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Actually a lighting strike on a tank would not have any afect on the crew (unless the TC was unbuttoned and had a hand outside the tank). This is for the same reason that being in your car durring a thunderstorm is safe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better than your car, really. Thanks to the metal tracks, the vehicle has lots of contiguous earth contact, and is in effect a grounded Faraday cage. You're right about the lightning running around the outside; that's the so-called "skin effect".

The tube radios in WWII tanks would be much more resistant to ambient surge than modern solid-state electronics, as well.