Why can't I buy TRP's...?

Why can't we purchase TRP's for meeting engagements?

TRP's are listed under the "fortifications" tab and not available for purchase if you are playing a meeting engagement.

I assume it's the same way for an attack.

Even though most of the force is moving during a meeting engagement, I still like to keep some of my indirect fire stationary for pounding on the objective. And some TRP"s would come in handy.

This represents a well thought out plan.

So right now, the only way to PREP the objective is to get direct LOS to it.

Now i'm not certain if TRP's were planned out for an attack or ME in WWII, but i'm willing bet they were.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

TRP's represent a very-well sighted/plotted area for bombardment. Their setup would suggest a defensive posture since spotting rounds would have to be shot and observed in order to confirm the plot. A meeting engagement on the other hand suggests that neither opponent has conclusively occupied the area previously (or one side has abondoned it earlier).

Using TRPs in the manner you've suggested would be something akin to a "fire-brigade" approach to a defense (with the front-line either having retreated or not present). A battle/op could be designed for this, but a QB just won't allow for it.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, it's just the reasoning I assume is behind such decisions.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

TRP's represent a very-well sighted/plotted area for bombardment. Their setup would suggest a defensive posture since spotting rounds would have to be shot and observed in order to confirm the plot. A meeting engagement on the other hand suggests that neither opponent has conclusively occupied the area previously (or one side has abondoned it earlier).

Using TRPs in the manner you've suggested would be something akin to a "fire-brigade" approach to a defense (with the front-line either having retreated or not present). A battle/op could be designed for this, but a QB just won't allow for it.

Sorry if this sounds obvious, it's just the reasoning I assume is behind such decisions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what your saying.

But, when we talk about "off board Artillery"

we are talking about an ARTY battery or battalion that isn't moving. They are in support of the offense.

Therfore, it would seem to me that at least TRP's could be plotted during an attack.

Right?

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

You can plot fire to support an attack (that's what your Spotters can do), but it won't be as accurate as a TRP. A TRP suggests that fire has been plotted and spotted with a few rounds to confirm its accuracy. This allows your batteries to just "dial in" the settings and start FFE with the knowledge that the rounds are landing where they should (a couple of other calcs are necessary depending on the prevailing conditions, but that is the essence of it). It basically allows for quick, accurate fire that has been pre-plotted (and, to a certain extent, a battery/batteries have been dedicated/guaranteed to a certain sector of coverage).

Most artillery bombardments either targeted known positions or possible areas of occupation by a defending unit. A meeting engagement is generally an unexpected encounter with the opponent - something you wouldn't really be pre-plotting your artillery for.