OT (Slightly) 2 good book reccomendations

Hi all

just thought I would post about two books I have just finished which I think would be of great interest to forum members :

The Guns Of War by George G Blackburn

actually a compliation of The Guns Of Normandy and The Guns Of Victory by author who served in a Canadian 25pdr Regiment from July 1944 thro to wars end.

Very personal stuff written in a very poignant and absorbing style.

Gives good insight into life of a gunner and the superb support given to hardpressed frontline troops, the amount of such firepower available on Allied side is impressive indeed.

Lorraine 1944 Patton vs Manteuffel

Osprey Campaign No 75

by Steven J Zaloga

a concise but well written account of the fighting in Lorraine region in September 1944 (Arracourt Luneville etc). A great advert for American arms (the number of Panthers etc destroyed by units of 3rd Army mainly 4th Armd is awesome).

The poor state of training/morale of the various Panzer Brigades committed to this region is apparent.

Good maps and general info (maps are probaly more suitable for WF or SP3 than CM but still good). Some good photos also.

One interesting titbit I picked up is that 4th US Armd had very few 76mm armed Shermans as apparently Patton did not think they were nessecary !! eek.gif

BTW Zalogas Campaign title 'Operation Bagration 1944 The Destruction Of Army Group Centre' is also superb and a must for all Ostfront fanatics.

Also chaps can we try to stop all this bitching/moaning/gurning etc it is getting tad tedious

Charles and co have given us an excellent game lets not spoil its forum......please.... pretty please smile.gif

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

Sarge,

I will check those books out. Thanks.

The Lorraine was the wrong place for Hitler to counterattack - 4 AD was one of the best in USA, terrain is tight and rugged (reducing the German L/R advantage and increasing the slow turret weakness), mornings are very foggy (same effect) and those Pz Bdes. were not ready to conduct offensive ops (having just been rebuilt in July/Aug 44).

Manteuffell failed miserably in massing his armor, instead attacking the US lines piecemeal without proper infantry support. Lots of German CO's lost their jobs during/after this one.

Also, American artillery was a decisive presence, rapidly responding with overwhelming firepower at the correct point.

This campaign could provide some very interesting scenarios... can CM players match the 4 AD's performance?

Hi Dumbo strange title I must say smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

"BTW Zalogas Campaign title 'Operation Bagration 1944 The Destruction Of Army Group Centre' is also superb and a must for all Ostfront fanatics."

SOLD! Another book on my buy list. Thanks

_dumbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to say that it is No 42 In Osprey Campaign Series and title is actually 'Bagration 1944...... etc'

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

Hi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

I haven't read them, but isn't Blackburn's work a trilogy? "The Guns of Normandy", "The Guns of Victory" and "Where the Hell are the Guns".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could well be correct but no mention made of third volume that I could see ?

'Where the Hell are the Guns' would one presumes be about his post-war experiences and sounds faintly reminisant of Spike Milligans 'Where Have All The Bullets Gone'

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

Hi James

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Bailey:

Sarge,

The Lorraine was the wrong place for Hitler to counterattack - 4 AD was one of the best in USA, {SNIP}

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree totally but it has been awhile since I read anything on these battles (only other tome I have covering Ami stuff in any detail is George Fortys 'Pattons Third Army At War' another good general read) being much better read on British 21st Army Group Operations.

Think part of Mantueffels (got to love that name smile.gif) problem was being elevated overnight from a Divisional to a Corps Cmdr and then literally thrown in at deep end.

The sheer aggressiveness of 3rd US Army meant Germans could not get time to get their act together. Zaloga argues that despite German disasters in Lorraine the committment of so much of their available armour etc had a 'spoiling' effect on 3rd Army progress which ultimately helped lead to Operational conditions that lead to Ardennes Offensive.

Cheers

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK