2S6aaa/sam-system

Stoffel

Guest MajorH

I set up an experiment using two player mode with your 2000 meter thermal settings. I had airstrikes appear just outside of the 2000 meter range and I had helos fly by at medium altitude just outside of the 2000 meter range.

I found that under the described conditions the 2S6 would engage fixed wing air strikes but it would not engage helicopters.

I checked the code and I specifically coded the program to work that way but I can't recall why. I will have to do some thinking on whether to change this or not smile.gif.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

• 3 years later...
Originally posted by MajorH:

I checked the code and I specifically coded the program to work that way but I can't recall why. I will have to do some thinking on whether to change this or not smile.gif.

Question on an old post here. Major, I assume you have thought this through by now. What was the outcome?

Hi Stoffel, I am glad to see you are still on the forums. I thought you had said you were going to have to drop out of the community because of job situation? Anyway, good to see you again.

If I recall correctly, didn't you totally destroy me at tacops a couple of times?

No, I had the name "paladin1128" when we played, but I lost the password and the email account I had was closed down, so I am now NG cavscout.

I think we were playing gallagher, you beat me first as the Opfor, then as the US. And soundly too. I learned a lot.

Congrats on the job, hope you had a good vacation. I was hired as a police officer here, but now I am looking for a new department, since it didn't work out. I got married, and now we are expecting twins in November.

I bought the Combat Mission games a while ago, and play them alot now. I gave my copy of tacops 3 to my brother, but now I only have the army version, tacopscav. I plan on buying tacops 4 when I find a new job.

Good to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

Major, any response to my followup on July 11th? Is this a legitimate bug that is going to be fixed soon? I think it definitely should be but you're the boss.

I also believe this problem affects helo's and SAM units in the same way as ZSU's. So any air defense range advantages for OPFOR are completely negated by this. It makes for a very dissappointing air defense against helo's in as much as I don't think I'd game anymore scenario's with helo's involved.

Jeez ... could the original question have really been in April 2000? Seems like it was only a few months ago.

Anyway ... according to my notes I couldn't change the behavior without significantly slowing the line of sight calculation routine and or breaking v4 saved games files (the later item being something that I was loath to do because of the military versions).

I sent myself a reminder email on this so as to get it back into the v5 "think about it folder".

I don't think the behavior is serious - but I will look at it again. Blue helos flying at medium altitude normally drop like flies to Red AA and SAMs. The only reason this oddity surfaced was because the original poster was using 2000 meters as a visibitliy limit rather than the usual 4000 or 6000 meters.

hi major,

My original question was indeed based on 2000 meters.

to be more specific,why doesnt the unit use its radar to engage targets beyond that visible range?

after all thats what makes it a good weapon

same goes btw for the Khrizantema,it still doesnt engage aircraft/helos

I have also noticed that under simple testing conditions, BLUE helo's do drop like flies when flying somewhat blindly into RED AA and SAMs. However, under real gaming conditions I've found this not to be the case at all. It most likely was due to much more careful BLUE helo attack tactics.

However, I was still counting on the 1000m standoff distance that the RED helo's have against BLUE but that is negated by this bug.

As a comparison, I would think one would consider this very serious if it negated the RED OPFOR slight range advantage of the BMP2 over the BLUE ground units like the M1A1 and M2A2. All tactics I've read involve engaging BLUE at maximum distances if possible to prevent being fired back at so why wouldn't one want to do this with helo's/SAMs as well??

Take this post to be written with some bitterness as this range problem has cost me dearly in a couple PBEM games until I figured it out just recently smile.gifsmile.gif

>However, I was still counting on the 1000m

>standoff distance that the RED helo's have

>against BLUE but that is negated by this bug.

I don't understand that. Please provide a more specific description of the engagement problem. Perhaps we are not really discussing the same thing.

Also ... this isn't a bug. It may or may not be a design flaw but it is not a bug. smile.gif

The OPFOR SAM SA16 Gimlet has a SA16 SAM range of 6000m. As well, the OPFOR Mi28N Havoc AT Helo has SA16 SAM range of 6000m. The US AH64 CS Helo has a Stinger SAM range of 5000m.

I'm sure I'm not using the terminology correctly but I call that a 1000m standoff. The OPFOR SA16 Gimlet and Mi28N Havoc have a 1000m at the sufficient distance to engage the US helo without it being able to return fire.

I just conducted an experiment with visual and thermal visibility set to 6000. Neither the OPFOR SA16 Gimlet or Havoc engaged the US helo at anywhere over 5000m. I danced the US helo around for 5-10 minutes and it was never fired on. As soon as it crossed the 5000m distance it was engaged by both Gimlet and Havoc but was also fired back on as would be expected.

Oh, by the way I think I also threw in airstrikes over 5000m and they were not engaged either. If someone has the time to repeat that experiment or all that would be great as I'm sure the Major is busy. I'd like at least one other confirmation of this in any event.

With visibility set to 4000m, the above OPFOR units do not engage helo's until 4000m. The SAMs will engage air strikes over 4000m but not greater than 5000m.

So Major, I think there is still some design FEATURE in there that needs looking at smile.gif