Love the AI - *Valley of Trouble Spoiler*

Folks

Completed VoT as the Yanks with a major Allied victory last night and it had me on the edge of my seat! The damned Panther had appeared, had clobbered my last 105 Sherman and was starting to fire at advancing infantry.

I had some 105mm and 81mm ammo left and quickly targeted it onto its position and got any MG with line of sight to aim at it to get it buttoned. I also gave a hunt command to a 76 Sherman with a possible flank firing option. The Sherman came forward, the Panther fired, but a lucky ricochet saved the Shermie. He popped smoke and backed off, saving himself. Then, the Panther was distracted by a bazooka guy I had creeping around the German right. Next move the arty started falling around the Panther and he had to reverse further right and button up, but seemed unable to manoeuvre cleanly, so he kept a side-on attitude to my Sherman.

Then began an amazing gun duel. The Sherman moved forward on his hunt command and stopped of his own accord with a brilliant hull-down position 220 yards away. His first shot hit the turret for a slight penetration at a weak point and the Panther and Sherman then traded about 4 shots in the minute, with the Sherman getting hits on the turret, but without much effect. The Panther kept missing the Sherman (shaken by the bombardment and the penetration?) until, in the final second of the move, the Sherman got a gun hit on the Panther. All through the move I was urging my Sherman on and at the 'money' shot, I let out a big "Yes!", waking my girlfriend. I then bored her rigid by showing her the replay.

Next move saw the Panther finally brewed up by the Sherman and the crew ply swift knees off the map. After that it was only 1 or 2 moves before the Germans surrendered. I felt a bit cheated as I had not yet entered the town and was about to start working from house to house - still had plenty of moves left.

Now it's all I can do to wait for my copy to turn up in the mew year.....

Guest Seimerst

Brian,

You, like so many before, have enjoyed that particular scenario's high drama and tension. My first experience with it was as the allies and I was doing pretty good-- not knowing about that Panther. When he crested that hill belching death and destruction--- well, it was not a happy time in the American camp.

WHoo HOOO! Got a copy for Christmas!! Poor fiance... my guess is she didn't understand the full ramifications of giving me the greatest game ever made. smile.gif

Anyway, yeah, that scenario is what hooked me too.

I ran a QB as my first mission when I got the full game.. and it had it's moments too.

Like when I took my first object (meeting-engagement) at set up shop only to have German arty make me wish I hadn't...

And the valliant stand one of my Stuarts made holding off the waves of Germans at my second objective... tragically getting popped one turn prior to my Wasps arriving and BBQing the German troops.

Or the Tank crew that rushed into a cathedral outside of town after their Wolverine got roasted by a round (from where???)... only to stumble on a German HQ... who promptly surrendered!!!!

And when my Pershing went to investigate the mysterious destruction of my Wolverine... and found a King Tiger hidin' in the bushes down the road from the Cathedral! Poor KT... I think he was more scared than I was. He first popped smoke to cover his movements... but my Pershing fired anyway (guess he figured the with the size and speed of the KT, so long as he fired dead center where the KT WAS, he'd be bound to hit it somewhere! smile.gif) .. POOF!!! First shot immbilized it, and the next 10 finished it off. smile.gif

It was a hard faught battle... we were lucky to get away with a victory.

If it were a boxing match, we'd have both knocked each other out... I would simply be the guy that goit up first. wink.gif

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz