Mac Gold Demo prob

I am using an iMac OS 8.6.

The prior beta demo loaded and played fine.

I loaded the gold demo tonight.

Everything is fine until I select a scenario to begin playing, the screen reads, "3-D graphics are loading..." (encircled in flags with background battle sounds) and stays frozen like that.

Please help frown.gif

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big idiot:

Berlich,

does "406" or "powerPC G3" answer that question, I'm unsure of type.

Sorry, B.I.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you look in the system profiler under machine speed, that might help. Is your iMac a slot-loading or a tray-loading one? You can also go to 'Devices and Volumes' in the system profiler and tell Berli the info on the video that is given there. You are the first one, methinks, who has reported an iMac problem with the GD, so it would be interesting to see where it is.

------------------

Andreas

Guest tom w

IT sounds like a first generation iMac to me from the fact that it still has 8.6 on it and I would say there is an extension conflict to blame here....

imho

-tom w

I have a rev B iMac with Mac OS 9.0.4 and the demo runs fine with one exception which was I had to change the resolution from 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600 to get it to work. The demo quit on me at the high resolution for some reason.

Overall I am very impressed with the game. Great work and it's nice to see it on the Mac platform!!

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom w:

IT sounds like a first generation iMac to me from the fact that it still has 8.6 on it and I would say there is an extension conflict to blame here....

imho

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a Rev.C slot-loading iMac almost the moment they came out, and they were still delivered with OS8.6 at that time. Fortunately enough a friend of mine had a suplus 9.02 CD I could buy of him.

------------------

Andreas

I also have the same problem, but I'm using a 233 G3 desktop no video card and only 6 mb of vram. Same thing happens to me when I choose a scenario I get a black screen and then it returns to my desktop. Is this because I don't have a video card? Initially I thoought it was because when I downloaded the Gold Demo in 4 parts I didn't unstuff the games correctly. As it is I have 4 separate folders for the G/Demo. Am I too unstuff the 4 parts into each other or keep it separate?

AS you can see I'm a bit clueless here too!

All best,

Patrick

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lucero1148:

Initially I thoought it was because when I downloaded the Gold Demo in 4 parts I didn't unstuff the games correctly. As it is I have 4 separate folders for the G/Demo. Am I too unstuff the 4 parts into each other or keep it separate?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hu? How did you download it in four different parts?

------------------

Andreas

Germanboy,

well on the DL apge you have the option to DL either as a 31MB all in one file or in 4 separate files at 8.7MB's for the 1st 3 files and 5.4MB as the last file. I then unstuff each file as CM demo 1 to 4, or am I to unstuff each file into each other?

I've tried keeping it separate and again unstuffed it into each other and either way all I get is a black screen and a return to my desktop.

Many thanks

Patrick

Guest Big Time Software

Patrick,

The folder structure should look like this:

Combat Mission Demo (folder)

...Combat Mission Demo (application)

...CM_Demo_Instructions.html

...Scenarios (folder)

......Chance Encounter.cmb

......Valley of Trouble.cmb

...Data (folder)

......8 files (graphics, sounds)

Hope that helps.

Charles

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 05-12-2000).]

Thanks Charles,

I'll try and see if that will change anything, but when I unstuff the 4 DL's thee sections automatically unstuffs as Combat Mission Demo; CM Demo 1; 2 and 3.

Each folder has: CM Demo, Scenarios (CE and Valley), Data (8 files), PBEM and Saved Games . When I double click on the CM Demo icon I can open up as far as loading 3d graphics, but then it goes black and returns to the desktop. The Gold demo also crashed my old demo so I took it out of the old demo folder and the original demo plays fine again. The Gold Demo is in its own folder but cannot open. This may be because I have yet to buy a video card for my 233 DT Mac with only 6 mb's of installed VRAM.

I'm waiting for the Voodoo 4 PCI card when it comes out in July rather than buy the ATI Orion.

Although I have yet to see the Gold Demo in the flesh yet I would like to thank you, Steve, Fionn, MadMatt and all the others who developed and worked on CM for doing something extra-ordinary in the wargaming field. I should hope that this proves to be a major turning point for your company and opens up more opportunities for success and creative development.

Three cheers and all best,

Patrick

Patrick,

Like you, I'm running on a relatively weak machine. Mine's a Gen One iMac (233 MHz w/ 64 MBs RAM and 2 MB VRAM on stock ATI RAGE board), under OS 8.6. Unlike you, I took a calculated risk and did a unitary download. The thing self-extracted, but didn't install properly (had no MG fire and no troop voices, but did have irritating electronic chatter instead). I then dumped the extracted folder and contents and reextracted. The problem remained, but was cleared up by turning sound on and off (shift "S") several times in the game.

I strongly suggest that you scrap what you have, do a unitary download, and make sure that you have the latest drivers for your video board. Search under "drivers" for the ATI site address. I know it's been posted before.

Hope this helps.

John Kettler