Can you make BIG mountains... and caves?

I'll have to buy a new computer to play this amazing game, but in the meantime I am wondering about how far you can go with terrain in the editor. I want to have guys swarming up shear cliffs with grapling hooks, that sort of thing.

How much elevation in this game?

Anyone? Sorry if these are bonehead questions.

Fingers

You can make elevation differences that are equivalent to cliffs. Nothing special about the face of the cliffs however, they appear like other "open ground" tiles. I haven't attempted to get troops to climb/traverse such height differences, so you may not get the "climbing" effect you are looking for.

There's no way to make a cave to my knowledge. Either that or I haven't experimented enough.

You can have elevation differences of 2.5 or 5 meters (per level - and only one of these differences can be selected for a whole map) and a total of 20 elevations (though the default level is 7).

No caves. There are cliffs. No scaling ladders. There are no craters in the scenario editor (which is a pain), but excellent maps are easily do-able.

------------------

Lucasta, when to France your man

Returns his fourth time, hating war,

Yet laughs as calmly as he can

And flings an oath, but says no more,

That is not courage, that’s not fear—

Lucasta he’s a Fusilier,

And his pride sends him here.

When you create a map you can set the relief lines to be 2.5m or 5m, I think.

I went as high as 19 lines on one map, so 2.5m x 19 = pretty high if you ask me.

At 5m per relief line, you end up with mountainous terrain, but that makes vehicle movement difficult.

To have level roads you need to leave some space for the 3D modeler, otherwise you end up with jagged roadways.

You can't build caves, I'm afraid. Rumour is that CM2 (Russian Front) will have sewers but that's as close to caves as you'll get I'm afraid.

To build cliffs you just set one square to be one level, and the adjacent one to be a dozen or more levels higher. That builds a cliff. There are no cliff "tiles", so you won't see a rock face, nothing like that. It will look like whatever other terrain is there, e.g. pine trees, woods, scattered tress. Vehicles won't be able to pass, they can only pass through slopes up to a point.

So although there is no cliff tile per se, you can build cliffs by playing with the relief levels. The system is pretty flexible, you just have to spend time playing with it.

Hope this helps.

I am not one of the game designers / developers, so people correct me if I'm wrong.

biggrin.gif

I'd just like to clarify -

Men cannot traverse cliffs.

Vehicles cannot traverse slopes.

I've tried making a map on a steep slope, and the effect is that it's a bloody pain trying to find a way for your men to get up. CM is basically extruded 2D, rather than true 3D, which makes caves impossible.

Considering all its predecessors (computer or boardgame) were essentially flat, there's no shame on BTS that CM is best played on flatter maps.

David

Thanks Guys. :)

Knil, that's exactly what I was thinking: The Guns of Navarone! Yes, even the lousy sequel "Force 10 from Navarone" would be cool, if we could actually blow up dams and take out the foundations of critical bridges situated down valley, or WHOLE ENEMY DIVISIONS!

Oh well, even if such things are impossible or at best pose difficulties, I've just gotta get this game!!!! Wow, the reviews all say it is sooo cool! ...Though maybe in a full-blown sequel elevations will be less limiting on gameplay and more of something strategy can exploit.

Uh, guess I shouldn't be making suggestions before I've even played the game, haha, sorry :) Well, now to buy a new computer...

Fingers

PS. Jpinard, if you are out there, this is "Fingers" from the old Age of Wonders Ultraboard. Lennart, Rayb, Josh, and Menno are in psychic communion, trying to draw you back to AoW, alas to no avail. This place is too awesome.