YOU SHALL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay I was playing Valley of Trouble in the Demo as Germans on the highest difficulty level possible. When my reinforcements came in, the Americans were fighting my men in the town at close range. My Panther moved up and killed all the American tanks but two. The other American tanks were soon knocked out. One hit a mine and the other got hit by a Panzerfaust. By now, on top of my hill I have my Company CO, my two mortars, the platoon of reinforcements, 2 bunker crews, and an MG42. I think that I can hold off the Americans with these. BUT, one routed soldier from town comes running up the hill, attracting every US soldier's attention. Soon enough, mortar fire comes down on him.

He lives miraculously, and reaches the top of the hill and goes near my men up there. The Americans REALLY want him to die so they call in 2 mortar barrages and 2 arty strikes with their spotters (I think) Well, 4 minutes later EVERYONE on top of the hill is dead, including my Panther. That is, EXCEPT for the little bastard that ran up there and attracted all that fire. He somehow survived the overlapping crater bombardment and surrednered to the advancing Americans. They probably gave that little punk a medal.

Knowing it was over, I tried unsuccessfully to send my last rifle team out to kill that little punk, and they ALMOST did. They killed all his American guards but the last of my men died as the American guards died. I WANT TO KILL HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for laughing, but that is kind of amusing.

Actually, an almost similar event happened to me playing the US in one scen...a sole surviving German soldier (of an MG42 crew),

takes off running and draws the wrath of just about EVERY squad I have on the map, including tanks, mortars, and the kitchen sink... smile.gif...a pre-planned 105mm barrage hit his lines (he had been out in front of his units main position), just about the time HE got there. cool.gif The barrage and other fire killed about 90% of his unit..HE, OTOH, was unscathed and ran thru his lines and off the rear of the map...."panic" is too small of a word.

In VOT I had an American squad that had been part of a platoon assault up the right side of the map, run ACROSS the center of the map (that road where it makes a "T"), and thru ALL the German positions, the minefileds and back to the safety of the distant treeline. I laughed so hard at their flight I had tears in my eyes.

Anyway...sorry (for you) that you got creamed by this guys actions... biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-17-2000).]

Gawd I almost wet my pants, and am still wiping away the tears. Great story Von Brizee.

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 07-17-2000).]

Okay guys, I seem to be finding patterns here. I just played Valley of Trouble as Americans on as EASy as possible to see how quickly I could secure the map. Well I was advancing about a company of infantry forwards on the very right edge of the map (From US point of view) and the battle was going very well. Soon enough, the German 155mm started opening up on my charging infantry, killing many. Well, I ordered a 105mm arty strike on those woods, and it took it out. I told the guy to cancel his fire and I moved my men into the woods. Well, on the next turn, I hear WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THUMP!!!!!!! "Medic" "AHHHH MY LEG" "Stretcher!" "Noooo!" and various other screams as the arty shells burst in the trees. It turns out my arty guy continued to call in fire at the CREW of the gun, b/c he could see them, even though I told him to stop. Well, I guess he should be happy. He killed the German crew. He also killed 67 Americans in those woods, and routed dozens more (who ran out the wrong side of the forest into pillbox MG fire, but let's not get into that)

Needless to say, I suspected this man to be a German spy. So, I put him on top of a Sherman (which was pissing me off by continuously firing at a bunker crew rather than a 75mm Pak pillbox) and sent them both sailing into the village, which was under arty and mortar fire. A Panzerfaust blasted the Sherman from a foxhole and the arty spotter and crew ran into a house which then lit on fire from an arty round.

Ahh....

That one made it all worthwhile hearing them scream.