New Colo(u)r Schemes/Textures - worthwhile a download?

Just wondering about these new texture/paint jobs, are they worth downloading? Especially since on a Mac, you need a go-between application to use them.

Are they modified versions of the original? Also, are there different paint schemes for Summer and Winter? Can you notice the difference, as I for one play mostly with the 2 widest camera angles.

I can't speak for Mac users (That would be the LorMac, he speaks for the Macs) but as far as PC goes, the new textures are great. There are significant differences and you only get winter camo with the new texture sets.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

I am uncertain as to what you are referring. The basic mods, MDMP 1&2, the 3rd part stuff at CMHQ, or the gunslinger mods.

I have an iMac DVD SE that I play on. I have loaded both MDMP's, all the Winter Camo (inf and vehicle) stuff and several panther variants, weathered allied tanks, and some selected terrains and textures from the velvet textures. That being said, I think they really enhance the game. You said you use the two widest views most often. You mean the go's eye views. At that level, mods won't matter. I usually play at 2-3. There you an really appreciate how much more they can do. Some are little tweaks. like the stained glass in the church, or the "battered" panther A, etc

Also as mentioned, winter/snow changes the appearance if you have the winter camos. If snow is on the ground, then the inf all have winter uniforms, and the vehicles have new paint jobs. No snow, then it's regular.

MacMod and the CMMM converter are great and make handling the bmp's a snap.

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

MB:

Go to CMHQ, 3rd party mods, Madmatt has a "guide to mods" It steps you through and links to them I believe.

For me I recc. MadDog Packs 1 & 2, the full Monty of Winter Camos (whether Stephen's or Dave's is personal) The Full Infantry winter camos, etc. There are some new Tiger mods, but for now I am running with Madmatt's Tiger in MDMP 2 as I had some little purple spots in road wheel areas on Desert Fox's and the Hi res (grey/green Tiger) But you can load and see how thay look for you.

I didn't like the velvet grass and the hi res grass didn't have any noticible improvement so I have low res grass. The velvet texture terrains has some nice work that I individually selected. Such as Church, new roof tiles, bridge, ponds, wheat field etc It really has a MUCH better rocky ground tile

MacMod allows you to compare the image of the new bmp to be converted w/ the resource in the current graphic. So I just load it up , skip through and select ones I want. Both are handy little buggers (MacMod and CM Mod Manager)

Gunslingers are interesting (although a bit on the darker side, like a cloudy day feel. You may view it differntly) and I have an alternative set up w/ just his installed. Since they look very different I do not reccomend mixing them. So if I want to use them I just change name of the data folder.

I have added the realistic flag start up screen, unit bars, command indicator , new flags as well.

I have also put in battered Panther A and David Ol' Blood and Guts Maximus has just sent me a new version for the Panther G. He is sending it to Madmatt and posted a email request on the forum.

Truth be told there probably is very little of the original graphics that I haven't replaced in some way. Some, several times!! I think it really enhances the game!

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 09-12-2000).]

Checked and re-checked my hi-re tiger. Can't find any pink spots. Try downloading it again if you want. The one at Combat HQ is a newer one than the one first posted there (got rid of some pixelization).

I've got a redone version of the battered Panther-A in hi-res with some slight modifications, as well as a new version of the panther g and panther g late.

If you feel like it, send me bmp 3390 of the tiger you have and I'll check it for pink spots.

-johnS