Dead Body Logic

While I have no moral qualms against dead bodies, I also have no great desire for them, especially if it hits framerate. That said, the thread on W.B. AAR was fun to read.

Looking back on some of the old threads on the subject, it does appear that there is a logical way that you could have individual dead bodies and still keep the one man = three or four men for the active (read living) troops.

Lets say that you send a 12-man U.S. rifle squad across a 50m clearing between two patches of woods.

Graphically, you would see a three-man squad running across the space to the other side.

Lets say that at 20 and 40m into it dash the squad loses a man to HMG fire. Graphically, the squad would still have three men by the time it reached the other side. However, at 20 and 40m you could have a single dead body graphic. That would allow a one-one graphical representation of the bodies without abandoning the one-three or four representation of live troops.

Of course, where does this leave the wounded?

[This message has been edited by JoshK (edited 04-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JoshK (edited 04-28-2000).]

This has been discussed, re-discussed and over-discussed waaaay reduntantly. The fact that I agree with you is irrelevant -- the decision was made (like a year ago) and they are code complete. In otherwords, no, no, no.

Gah.

Sage

Clearly this has been discussed ad nauseam (a discussion I had totally avoided), but in light of the Wild Bill scenario review thread, it now seems that bodies may be in. If they are, I was only postulating how it may work. One of the arguments used against bodies was that because each figure represented multiple persons, it would be misleading to have a body appear for only every third KIA. I was pointed out a way around this.

If I had wanted to bring up old discussions, I personally liked the white phosphorus and bocage topics much more.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoshK:

One of the arguments used against bodies was that because each figure represented multiple persons, it would be misleading to have a body appear for only every third KIA. I was pointed out a way around this.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to continue beating on the now really dead horse, but what happens when you get 50-60-70 KIA?

Guest hunt52

Really the only reason I can think of to have dead bodies it to mark where squads are lost. This would prevent the "hmm - did I forget to send that zook in or did it get whacked..." problem. If I were doing dead guys I'd just drop one per squad.

- Bill

That is the understanding I had as well...

one at the final resting point of each squad would make sence... also allow you to look for heros at the end of the battle (and not worry about them getting killed during the fighting)

-EridanMan

I agree it makes no sense why they did that and how do you know who is the sgt. or higher rank for your snipers? and why do the bodies diappear when they die why can't they stay there for acouple turns? and what about land mines or trip wires set up by engineers? what if they get killed they just don't think it out well enough, they have the history down but no the logic!

Originally posted by Comic book Guy:

I agree it makes no sense why they did that

Yes, CM is obviously the product of random, senseless decisions...

and how do you know who is the sgt. or higher rank for your snipers?

The squads are representative, not individual soldiers. If the Sgt. is hit someone else takes over.

and why do the bodies diappear when they die why can't they stay there for acouple turns?

Did you READ this thread?

and what about land mines or trip wires set up by engineers? what if they get killed they just don't think it out well enough, they have the history down but no the logic!

Find the S-E-A-R-C-H feature. Immediately. Read all 40,000 posts before asking these things again.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 04-29-2000).]

Maybe(in future version)

a little "red cross" icon could "blink"

above a unit when it takes a hit.

Nice to see the "final resting place"

feature.no more -ing and +ing! when a unit

vanishes!

------------------

Horrido!

michael