Possible Glitch--Am Getting Info I Shouldn't Have

I discovered something interesting and disturbing in a recent game of CM. The scenario's called "Relieving the Rangers." The nature of the problem is not a spoiler.

What's happened is that my opponent assaulted my position, but was repelled by indirect fires. The survivors beat feet out of LOS, becoming German Crosses as a result. Later,I decided to annoy them further and plotted some map fire on them. While checking LOS as I waited for the slow-in-coming fire support, I got quite a shock.

Checking each cross reconfirmed the identity of the unit, but also showed the new range to the target, a piece of information I must have acquired telepathically, since I never had direct LOS or a sound contact. If these "reports" are to be believed, my foe has pulled back quite a ways, in blocking terrain, yet I know about it to the meter.

I decided this was ridiculous and scrubbed the fire mission. I'll wait for targets I'm sure of.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Regards,

John Kettler

In my limited experience, the location of sound contact "crosses" is not always accurate, but they are where your spotting or hearing units imagine them to be. The cross occupies a precise location which represents where your guys think the bad guys are.

So you are getting a precise distance to where they imagine the sounds came from. They may be there, or not. So "If these "reports" are to be believed" is the critical question. The marker has to be somewhere and you are getting the distance to somebody's guess, not necessarily the actual enemy unit. Or am I missing something in your scenario?

Guest Pillar

If you saw an enemy infantry squad walk out into the open, wave, then go hide back in the woods, you would have the following infomration:

There is definitely a Infantry squad hiding somewhere in those woods, approximately "x" meters away.

The game is simulating that.

Mark IV, I said that I'd had NO sound contacts whatsoever. The German Crosses were generated as last known locations for fleeing units.

Pillar, let's say the original range when I called the map fire mission in was 250m. This is what the line running from my FO to the planned target area showed. What I'm saying is that in using the LOS tool from the FO's position to the individual cross locations, I'm now seeing, say, 350m to one unit, 368 to another, and so forth. To me, this is information which I had NO way of obtaining, particularly since the units in question, based on cross locations, are supposedly at or close to each other in distance from my FO.

I hope this additional explanation clarifies what I'm trying to convey. Somehow, I now magically know that the targets have moved back some 100m, but I never had them in LOS after they became crosses, nor did I ever get a contact report based on sound. So, where's this information coming from?

Regards,

John Kettler

If I am understanding what you are saying correctly, then I am disturbed by it as well.

Let me see if I get this correct:

The enemy retreated out of LOS at approximately 250 meters leaving the generic symbols as a point of reference as to where the last known positions were.

Now, a little bit later, you take the LOS tool from your FO to the same spot 250 meters away and point it at the generic symbol and it shows 350 meters now?

If what I am describing is correct, that would be a major advantage with information. Yikes!

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

From what I've seen your troops glean information about a unit do to quality and time the unit spends in Los to your units. Notice at the start of battle it just says infantry? and thats it. As your teams watch this group further, you find out how many men in the squad ect. If you say send that unit packing out of LOS, your troops let you know with the Cross, or roundel. But that squad could sneak out of that spot, and even retreat off the map i think and the marker will still be there. But you send out some infantry on recon, you find out no one is in those trees!!! or they are over in the next block or something. hehehe, and if you do drop some mortar rounds, they will leave that area all the quicker.

I´ve had something similar happen to me. A sound contact was 188 m away when i used the LOS tool but only 55 m away when I targeted the location. I took a screenshot, I´ll see if I can put a link to it.

sound1.gif

sound2.gif

Yes! It works!!!

[This message has been edited by Kurtz (edited 08-18-2000).]