Favorite size of Quick Battle, or game in general???

I just finished a totally default quick battle, of the 500 point size, and it was one of the funnest battles I've fought yet. I have been making and playing 2000-3000 point battles mostly, using the editor, or 1000 point quick battles. Yet recently I made a ultra-tiny little scenario to test a discussion thread here involving close assaults on open topped vehicles, just one M-36 vs. a platoon of Infantry. It was so fun, that I have since played alot of "Micro" battles. They really do seem to be where this game shines brightest, under 500 points. I think I see why BTS assigned that as the default. I think the imersion is much more pronounced and you identify with the units more. Once a battle gets up around 2500 points or so, there is too much to do to really focus on ONE specific unit for too long.

Great game. Fantastic game. Thanks again BTS. Can I send you more money?

Zamo

I have yet to play anything on other than a small map. I have only played two scenarios- "St Anne's Chappelle" and "Breakfast at Bucholz Station" (outstanding scenario, Moon!). The rest have all been QB's of generally 500 points or less, and twenty turns in length. I may never get around to any of the other included scenarios...

Kevin im just like you smile.gif

Although im not _that_ new to the game im new to wargames, (since I hated all the ones before this). Anyways I have only played 3-5 of the scenarios included in the map. If you like the smaller type games (not over 1000 points approx) I suggest:

St.Anne's Chapelle

Its at the end of the list. Really fun smile.gif

------------------

¤§ïѤ

I never thought I would see a game where you could have a pure infantry fight and it turns out to be doable, fun, and tense. Seen it now...

The Bucholz Station scenario by Martin Turewicz is a great small scenario- I recommend everybody play that one. I played as the Amis and gave the computer a +3 (I always give the AI +3). Won't give away anything, but I was losing for 3/4 of the game until I managed to rally my men and beat off a very determined German attack that gave me a draw.

Well, allow me to ring in as one who really enjoys the small battles also. I have yet to work my way through many of the "canned" scenarios, instead focusing on the small map, low point QB's. Endlessly enjoyable!

chaos

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I never thought I would see a game where you could have a pure infantry fight and it turns out to be doable, fun, and tense. Seen it now...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you talking about St.Anne's Chapelle?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The Bucholz Station scenario by Martin Turewicz is a great small scenario<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can I find it?

I asked for auth on ICQ, hope to talk to you there smile.gif

------------------

¤§ïѤ

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OsinO:

If you like the smaller type games (not over 1000 points approx) I suggest:

St.Anne's Chapelle

Its at the end of the list. Really fun smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I've played it twice and it's kind of a blast. Especially as I won both times easily. smile.gif

Michael

Well, somebody has to speak up for the big battles. My personally preferred size is "How big can I make it?" Clash of Eagles especially is INCREDIBLE. So many nice toys to play with and break.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

Concerning The Bucholz Station scenario,

Squad Leader describes it this way:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> BUCHHOLZ, German border, Dec 16, 1944: The original German opening for the battle of the buldge was somewhat subdued. German infantry with little armor was to sieze key road junctions early so the armored formations could quickly pass through and exploit a breakthrough. One such key place was the town of Buchholtz which sat alongside an abandoned railroad. It was held by a company of american infantry who were lined up for chow outside the town when a company of the German 27th Fusilier regiment came down the road. Neither side had expected to find the other here, and there was a moment of mutual surprise as both sides scrambled to deploy. The fighting opened about 7am with neither side able to gain a decisive advantage. Losses were given and taken and the battle would probably go to the first side to receive reinforcements.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:

The side that forces the other to "retreat" first is considered the winner. A side is forced to "retreat" the instant it has lost by KIA or removal(twice broken units) a total of ten squads, leaders or AFV's. If, by the end of the game, neither side has been forced to retreat, the game is considered an American victory providing the Germans haven't exited 7 squads off the southern edge of board 3, on either road. If the Germans do exit 7 squads off the southern roads they win.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding:

The German player wins if he manages to exit 7 squads out of the southern edge. If He can't do that, the Axis player wins by killing 7 U.S. squads/leaders or AFV's *first*. 2 broken units are considered equal to 1 killed unit so that 6kills plus 2 broken units satisfy the victory conditions.

The U.S. wins by preventing the Axis player from exiting 7 squads off the southern edge and preventing him from killing 7 U.S. squads/leaders or AFV's *first*.

Are there any specifc roads that the axis player must use to exit or is the whole south map fair play.