101st AD Special on History Channel

Dar

Anyone else seen this special about the 101st Airborne Division? It's an excellent special--the interviews with the vets alone makes it entirely worthwhile even without the narration and background filler.

A couple of nitpicks, though--

They only mention the 81st and 101st as the only American airborne divisions. What about the 17th (Operation Varsity) and I believe there was also the 13th which served in the Pacific theater.

Stock footage that doesn't fit! For example, when they describe the battle for Carentan in the D-Day campaign, they talk about how the Luftwaffe bombed the area, and they show several German bombers--and a Ju52?! About as lethal as the dreaded C47!

Good footage of the Bastogne area that I hadn't seen before, though, and I liked the story about the "receipt" for Bastogne, which I hadn't heard before.

Dar

Saw its coverage of MarketGarden last night. I found very interesting the BN CO who related making contact with one of the Brit armored units on the drive on Arnhem. The paratroopers were ready to move onward with the operation but the British armor was just milling about. The 101st BN CO finally found the commander of the Brit unit having dinner with a Dutch girl. When the American went in to ask what was going on, the first thing the Brit said was "are my tanks still outside?"

It's a wonder the operation wasn't even more disastrous than it was.

DjB