Sherman IIC?

I finally looked over the vehicles that will be included in CM and was surprised to see a listing for the Sherman IIC.

I stand to be corrected by anyone with figures, but it was my understanding that the IC and VC were the most common 17 pounder variants, with Sherman II's (M4A1) being somewhat rare.

Anyone got any insights on numbers of Sherman IIs in Commonwealth service?

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 06-16-2000).]

The I- and VC were the most common, but I have seen the odd pix of a IIC (cast hull welded to chassis), but I can't find any numbers for how many anywhere. I found that the Brits converted something like 600 M4 chassis, (they even gave 160 to the Americans apparently) but no figures on which ones were converted.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Peltz (edited 06-17-2000).]

Sorry, my main reference guide only lists the 600 Shermans that were converted, but doesn't break them down by variant... although there is a multi-view painting of an example of the Sherman II along with its specs. If anyone wants the pic file, I'll scan it...

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

According to Hunnicutt in "Sherman - A History of the American Medium Tank" Britain received 2,096 M4 (Sherman I) but only 942 M4A1 (Sherman II).

I have only ever seen pictures of the Sherman VC (very common) and Sherman Hybrid IC (fairly common). I've never seen pics of any other C-armed Shermans.

I think someone may have confused the cast front hull on the Hybrid IC with the cast hull of the Sherman II. Either that or the Sherman IIA (76mm gun M1A1 w/out muzzle brake)has been confused for a Firefly. Comments from BTS?

It's far too late to beg for changes, but some clarification would be good.

And to add further confusion to this, the book:

BRITISH AND AMERICAN TANKS OF WORLD WAR II

(The Complete Illustrated History of British, American, and Commonwealth Tanks, 1939-1945

[ARCO Publishing Company, NY]

lists on p. 130 the following British designations for Shermans -

Sherman I

Standard M4

Sherman Hybrid I

late-production Detroit-built M4 with

combination cast/rolled hull front

Sherman IB

M4 (105mm)

Sherman IBY

M4 (105mm) w/ HVSS - late 1945

Sherman II

M4A1 (cast hull)

Sherman IIA

M4A1 (76mm)

Sherman IIC (Firefly)

M4A1 rearmed w/ 17pdr

Sherman III

M4A2

Sherman IIIAY

M4A2 w/ 76mm, wet stowage and

HVSS - late 1944

Sherman IV

M4A3

Sherman IVA

M4A3 w/ 76mm, wet stowage and

HVSS

Sherman IVB

M4A3 (105mm)

Sherman IVC (Firefly)

M4A3 rearmed w/ 17pdr

Sherman V

M4A4

Sherman VC (Firefly)

M4A4 rearmed w/ 17pdr, most

Firefly conversions were on M4A4

Sherman VII

M4A6 Few, if any delivered to

Britain

Sherman V (Rocket)

Field modification By Coldstream

Guards to provide twin launchers

for 60lb aircraft rockets (from

Typhoon aircraft) on side of

Sherman V turret. Some so fitted

were Sherman VC

Amongst the photos of British Shermans are a IC Hybrid Firefly, IVC Firefly, and VC Firefly. Note, the list above does not include all the variant "funnies", as there are a lot of those!

That helps, Marty. Thanks. Still, given the numbers, I would be surprised if the IICs outnumbered the ICs.

Actually, it's not that confusing.

M4= Sherman I

M4 with composite hull = Sherman Hybrid I

M4A1=Sherman II

M4A2=Sherman III

M4A3=Sherman IV

M4A4=Sherman V

If it is armed with anything other than the standard 75mm gun the tank carries a letter designation:

A=76mm

B=105mm

C=17 Pounder

If it has HVSS suspension it gets a Y at the end of its designation. So a British M4A2 with HVSS and a 76mm gun is a Sherman IIIAY. Piece of cake really.

'The British Soldier, Volume 2, Organisation, Armament and Vehicles' gives the following information which supports your figures, Formerly Babra:

US Name Brit Name Gun Numbers Delivered

M4* Sherman I 75mm 2,096

M4A1** Sherman II 75mm 942

M4A2* Sherman III 75mm 5,041

M4A4* Sherman V 75mm 7,163***

M4105* Sherman IB 105mm 593

M4A176.2**Sherman IIA 76.2mm 1,330

*Welded hull

**Cast hull

***The base for the 'Firefly' conversion

Only a dozen each of the M4A3 and M4A2 76mm

were delivered for trials.

Above is quoted direct from the book. Must say I was surprised at how many 76mm M4A1's were sent. Also it ignores the non-M4A4s converted to Firefly.