Utility of graphic mods for iMacs?

As previously noted, I play CM with a 233 MHz iMac which has 64 MB of RAM and 2 MB VRAM on an ATI Rage Pro. I do have the improved explosion and smoke mod installed, but that's it.Given that I play CM at 640 x 480 on a system which doesn't even meet the minimum specs, which other mods can I use without fatally jamming the works? Believe it or not, CM runs fine on my rig, even with enhanced smoke.

Naturally, I'd prefer to own a killer rig, but I'm lucky to have this.

Thanks for any and all help.

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

See what you get for having a psuedo-integrated iMac?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I get to lol at you Maximus!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC ;)

Join or get more info on Rob's CMC today Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Bord

BHQS bord

Guest Andrew Hedges

I don't know a lot about what your system can handle, but I'm pretty sure that you could add a lot of little mods that look cool and which wouldn't slow down your system. A lot of infantry mods are like this, and you mostly only see them when you're doing close ups, so there's little or no drain on the system. This would include small arms mods, machine gun mods, helmet mods, and face mods. Some uniform mods are cool, but I don't believe that they are any higher-resolution than the original uniforms. Low-res vehicle mods should cause no problems either, and some of those are quite nice.

John,

I recommmend trying out a mod at at time, of what you care to convert, and see how it works on your iMac. as mentioned before, there are a number of small ones that dont use much memory but do add to the game. I really like the faces mod, where the faces that appear in the interface screen are changed to those from Kelly's Heroes, SPR, etc. Adds a lot to see Oddball commanding my tanks.

And, with MCM3 or MacMod, installing and reverting the resource file is pretty easy, so you can always go back to what you had before if it doesnt play well. If you have any questions about using MCM3, feel free to email me, or ask away.

I would stay away from hi res mods though, especially the hi res grass. They are a major drain on vram, though I believe the system will default to the CD folder if it cant handle the new textures (I seem to recall this was the case with the gridded grass (dont bother trying those).

good luck, and enjoy!

dave

Any low-res vehicle or building should have no effect whatsoever, since they are the same size as what the game is currently using. It is possible that you could get some speed increase by making some low-low res files; resizing the terrain tiles shouldn't look too bad. Do you want me to quickly resize a grass set for you to try?

• 2 weeks later...