BTS, A definite bug found

Hello Charles and Steve,

I have found a bug with the barbed wire emplacements in VoT. The graphic showing them is there, but the game doesn't recognize there being any wire at the location. This is true for every wire emplacement. When you issue a move order, and hold the mouse over the wire, it shows the area is "Open Ground" rather than "Barbed wire" as it normally does. I've gone back and looked at game files from both myself and my opponent from very early turns and it is the same. So, it looks like the wire wasn't working from the very beginning of this particular game. Something must have gotten screwed up during the placement phase.

I can send you game files if you need to take a look.

pritzl

Well, maybe it is that barbed wire is considered a unit and not a terrain feature since they are placeable. Granted that they aren't hindering movement like they are supposed to. 'Cause when you select a pillbox, doesn't it say located in "woods" or whatever? Same goes for minefields. Does the game say that a unit is located in a minefield?

I think I've isolated the barbed wire bug!

It ONLY shows up during PBEM games. I believe that, for some reason, the barbed wire information is not being included with the rest of the data that is emailed back and forth between players. This is causing the game to believe that the wire isn't there even though the graphic for it is visible on the map.

I've still only been able to duplicate this bug in PBEM games. BTS, do you have any idea on what's going on with the barbed wire?

Also, is there a comprehesive list of what changes have already been made to the game since the release of the Gold Demo, and do we have to wait for the TCP/IP to be finished before we'll see a patch?

Thanks,

pritzl

Guest Big Time Software

Due to the underlying "grid" beneath the CM terrain map, the edges of the wire sometimes don't match up perfectly with where the wire 'actually' is. So you might see soldiers "breeze through" the edges of the wire, maybe even a meter into it. But you shouldn't see them walk right through the center withough a significant slowdown.

Charles

Thank you for the reply. I undersand what you're saying about the edges not necessarily matching up exactly with the underlying grid; however, running directly through the center of the wire is what is happening. As far as the game is concerned, there is no wire in place.

Set up a PBEM game with youself and you'll be able to see that the graphic is in place for the wire, but it doesn't exist as far as the game is concerned.

I hopes this helps.

Pritzl

Just punting this back to the top to make sure the guys at BTS don't miss this one.

It's an important bug that needs to be looked into, especially if anyone wants to PBEM any scenarios involving fixed defenses near the Normandy beaches or along the Siegfried Line.

If it matters, I'm playing on a Mac G4.

Guest Big Time Software

On the day the game ships, we'll post a v1.01 patch for free download.

Charles

Guest aaronb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

On the day the game ships, we'll post a v1.01 patch for free download.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a mechanism to confirm that our PBEM opponents (and TCP/IP,eventually), are using a matching patch level? A player could, knowing that a certain turn was to be resolved on his machine, take advantage of known bugs.

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is there a mechanism to confirm that our PBEM opponents (and TCP/IP,eventually), are using a matching patch level? A player could, knowing that a certain turn was to be resolved on his machine, take advantage of known bugs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The v1.01 player will see a message informing him that his opponent is using an older version. The v1.0 player will see a message saying "Sorry can't load this PBEM file. Please upgrade." smile.gif

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On the day the game ships, we'll post a v1.01 patch for free download.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

{sigh} Charles let me explain how this is SUPPOSED to work, since you and Steve obviously haven't a clue.

First ... WAIT TILL THE GAME IS OUT THERE!

Second: Ignore any and all posts regarding reported bugs, refer all questions to a mythical "support" team that (a) is ignorant of the game entirely and (B) only works on alternate Thurdays between the hours of 2 AM and 4 AM, local time where ever the user is.

Third: After a couple of months of this, grudgingly admit that a bug has been located but blame it on the CD press. Tell everyone that a fix is "on the way".

Fourth: After another couple of months actually release the patch on some obscure site that used an old 286 with a 1200 baud modem ... oh and be sure the patch screws up something else in the process.

Fifth: By this time you'll have skimmed all the real money and who cares after that.

Don't make me have to explain this again.

Joe

------------------

"I don't want them brave, I want them dead!"

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson