Rubble and LOS problem

Here's what happened. I was playing LD as Germans during a PBEM game. My opponent parked one of his Hellcats behind one of the two houses at the top of the hill near the entrance point for the reinforcements. I had the idea of shooting down the house with my Tiger who was at the top of the hill where the Germans start (clear LOS) so that I could hopefully blast it away and then have an open shot at the TD there. Well, I targeted the house (which had been previously struck by arty) and the turn played out. The first shot BOOM flattens the house. To my suprise, the Cat hiding behind it was not exposed. All I could see was a large Star. So for the rest of the turn, my Tiger pounded HE round after round into a flattened structure. Immediatley after the turn was over and the new orders phase began, the Hellcat, who had not moved, was in full view of my Tiger. I targeted and the rest is irrelevant. Why did that happen?

Thanks,

TeAcH

Guest tom w

One way to learn about these thing is to simulate the

scenario over again while playing both sides on the

"hotseat".

This can be very helpful to simulate what works and

what does not and what you can see from the perspective of the Germans and the perspective of the Americans.

try setting up that exact position and play both sides and see what happens. I don't have an answer for that situation other that to ask how did you as the over commander, "know" or see that there was a Hellcat behind that building, could your tank crews know the same thing as you, if you use the area target command

I understand that will keep your tank commander VERY busy

pumping rounds into that "area" until you relieve him of that order.

I have told the Tiger to take down a building in LD with the area target command hopeing it would then shoot at something else

once the building fell, but NO!

it just keeps pumping rounds into the rubble because it was on the

area target command, part of the answer might be that in the Demo the area target command "blinds" the tank from other

targets as all it does is pump rounds into that area.

I think it has been mentioned that we cannot expect the AI or the local unit Tac AI to read our minds.

your order to the tiger was to level the house.

it did that and then it just kept pumping rounds into the

rubble as per your area target orders.

how's that?

any comments?

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

So for the rest of the turn, my Tiger pounded HE round after round into a flattened structure. Immediatley after the turn was over and the new orders phase began, the Hellcat, who had not moved, was in full view of my Tiger. I targeted and the rest is irrelevant. Why did that happen?

Thanks,

TeAcH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would also be nice to have a feedback when a vehicle runs out of ammo. That could safe one from sending "empty" vehicles into harms way ... as it is you can still target even if you do not have any ammunition left, if I recall correctly.

Actually I would like to see more text lines like the damage report ... they feel like a battle report springing to life ...

For example a "Unit Eliminated" text would work fine with me if it was displayed for a few seconds like the Damage text whenever a unit is eliminated. The way they simply vanish I do not like. Same with buildings ... "Building hit ... minor structural damage"

All optional, of course ...

Regards, Thomm

Guest Madmatt

Turn on labels and you will get the Ammo info you asked about. As to the other suggestions, well there is always CM2!!! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX... Coming Soon!!!

combathq.thegamers.net