Coldstream Guards

The 1st Bn / Coldstream Guards is listed as one of three armored regiments in the Guards armored division

Guards Armored Division

Specifically, I'ld like to know if and when the unit switched to cromwells or were they a sherman unit for the whole war.
Not sure, but I would think that having started as a Sherman equipped unit it would have stayed that way. A switch to Cromwells would have been perceived as a downgrade, and the Allies had far more Shermans than Cromwells in reserve.

Having said that, they might have been switched to Comets, which were a Cromwell variant so to speak, although with better armor and gun. Wiki says the Brit 11th armored was the only unit to be completely re-equipped with Comets, so the other divisions may have gotten enough to field a battalion or so. Just a guess on my part.