Few questions from a new guy....

New to the game... played Demo for something like 10 hours smile.gif won both with both sides... eagerly awaiting full version in my mailbox soon.

Here are some problems i've noticed:

- German mortars ( i didn't notice Allied ones doing this ) - you assign them a valid mission to lay down smoke in a very important place - next thing you know - they are playing mortar duel with allied unit all the way across the map.

I guess they are responding to the attack - but if they were given the order and they are not threatened in "i'm 3 meters from you and i'll shoot you soon" fashion - shouldn't they carry it out ?

- hiding - in trouble Valley, trying to play a good defensive battle, to get allied infantry in the kill zones, and wouldn't you know it, most of my units start firing at the extreem ranges as soon as they notice something - thereby giving away they positions.

I've noticed that when computer played that battle as germans - some of his units wouldn't attack till point blank range.

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot guys.

I see some Warbirds type here.. hey pritzl smile.gif Long time no see..

He does make a good point about units "obeying" a human player's orders versus obeying the computer.

I know BTS has extensively commented on the fact that the TacAI is identical, but in a simple mission like Chance Encounter, I've noticed that when I play as the Germans my conscripts and greens do appear to do stupid things a lot more often than they seem to when I'm against them playing as the Americans.

I do believe BTS, of course, but something just doesn't seem right...

(And then there's the other discussion about the Valley pillbox -- it seems practically indestructible when the computer owns it, but every time I play as the Germans it never lasts more than about 3 minutes...)

Hi fd-ski,

good to see an ex-Warbirder who has found this strategy game wink.gif

Just ordered my version of "Combat Mission".

U given up Warbirds...only in AH now?

...and waiting for wwiionline i take it... wink.gif

<S>

Buzzer

thanks for replies guys...

I'll do more research once i have a full disc.

As for pillbox in Valley - playing US i managed to take it out in 3 shots. Luck i guess.

Putting two initial tanks on top of the high hill does pay off.

They also manage to ususally take care off the panther once it arrives.

Hey Buzzer, i still fly WB, AH and will WWIIOL.

Since i lead the wing in WB, i can't just leave. But strategy games have always been my thing, ever since Conflict Vietnam on C64 and Market Garden on Spectrum... long long time ago.

BTW, anyone here plays V4V series ?

------------------