Music to conquer by.

I have a wierd taste in music, i like soft rock like lizzy and zeppelin mixed with some of the more warlike classical tunes (ride of the valkries rocks)

But the heavier the better, metallica,maiden,pantera etc are light but i have yet to find a heavy song that has a tune and a topic other than satan!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spider:

I have a wierd taste in music, i like soft metallica,maiden,pantera etc are light but i have yet to find a heavy song that has a tune and a topic other than satan!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? I don't think that Metallica has a satan song. Much of the maiden catalog is very topical for the wargamer (if the music's agreeable). Subjects such as Nucear Brinksmanship (2 minutes to midnight), the Battle of Britain (Aces High), Alexander the Great, The Prisoner [well... gamers tend to mistrust and paranoia...] (Back in the VIllage & The Prisoner)... THe list does go on. Even when they get all satanic sounding, the lyrics are usually metaphorical (or more often simile laden), though I remember fondly several instances of the Jesus People coming to the dorm room door and being answered by Number of the Beast smile.gif.

Industrial music makes good conquering music. Hard driving and guttural. The grinding background noises give the feel of tanks and other vehicles. The faster drum beats of speed metal sond like machine guns. Plus, there is a bunch of industrial music in German (KMFDM, Rammstein, etc.) to give a great feel for commanding the Germans.

Holst's Mars from his Planets suite is very good. Battle music from any movie is also great. I watched Spartacus recently and the drums as the armies line up in one of the battle scenes is very cool. I am a big Star Wars junkie and John Williams music goes very well with CM.

I second the recommendation of swing music. Great period music when playing the Americans. Swing, Swing, Swing is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music. It's a lot grittier tahn most other big band music. And if you can find a copy with Gene Krupa on the drums you will not be disappointed.

Jason