Multi Multi player CM ?

Right now we're limited to two players. Nice and dandy but..

Within next few years computers will progress fast enough so that map 10 times the scale of our Huge could be displayed and processed...

I can think of nothing cooler then "web based game" where you have 2 teams of 5 guys each. ( Just an example )

One guy on each team is a superme leader and assigns over all goals to others as well as coordinating long range altilery as well as CAS ( close air support )

Other four have let's say one battalion each to command.

Every day ( or two, depending on people involved ) person downloads the CMB file from the server, makes his moves and uploads it. ( new featre would have to be added so that upload would only override HIS units. If someone else downloaded before him and uploaded after him, his moves would have been erased. )

Once all players made their moves - Judge or whoever, executes the turn on their machine and posts it as a movie for all to see.

THen they do it again...

This would be great to community, causing crations of divisions and other types of squads, all competing against each other.

Could be doable in real time too, assuming each player has only 10 or less units to move...

What do you guys think ?

------------------

The plan you laid out has been a fairly common idea among game designers for some time. Again, like with the many attempts to make a decent superhero game, it all comes down to execution.

The main criticism of this is the turn-based, time factor. I know many of you have completed PBEM games but the majority of gamers lack the patience for it. Even those of you who would still have to take time out for RL occasionally, leading to delays, etc.

In Sid Meier's Gettysburg where you can have four (or more? I forget) aside, the games really opened your eyes to the need for communication and coordination .. in realtime no less! Frequently, sides with only one or two players commanding all the forces would triumph over the less coordinated side with more players. Obviously the side with the same battle plan would have an advantage over squabbling teammates. Sometimes newbies would 'nominate' a more experienced player to be the overall marshal and direct their efforts while they executed on the corps level down. Those were very fun games.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fd ski:

Right now we're limited to two players. Nice and dandy but..

Within next few years computers will progress fast enough so that map 10 times the scale of our Huge could be displayed and processed...

I can think of nothing cooler then "web based game" where you have 2 teams of 5 guys each. ( Just an example )

One guy on each team is a superme leader and assigns over all goals to others as well as coordinating long range altilery as well as CAS ( close air support )

Other four have let's say one battalion each to command.

Every day ( or two, depending on people involved ) person downloads the CMB file from the server, makes his moves and uploads it. ( new featre would have to be added so that upload would only override HIS units. If someone else downloaded before him and uploaded after him, his moves would have been erased. )

Once all players made their moves - Judge or whoever, executes the turn on their machine and posts it as a movie for all to see.

THen they do it again...

This would be great to community, causing crations of divisions and other types of squads, all competing against each other.

Could be doable in real time too, assuming each player has only 10 or less units to move...

What do you guys think ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having that big of battle sounds interesting but i don't really want to command a battalion because it would take months to complete just one battle. I know some other companys already have that in the works with infantry, tanks, ships, and aircraft.

I'd rather fight a battle turned based with a rifle platoon and a couple halftracks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fd ski:

What do you guys think ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love it. My daydreams nowadays often stray towards multiplayer CM. It would be nice if the TCP/IP patch included provision for more than one player per side (perhaps in specially designed scenarios).

Regards,

- Erik

[This message has been edited by Erik Rutins (edited 07-18-2000).]

Guest herbjorn

Well, the 5v5 or 8vs8 plus two brigade commanders would be the upper limit with maps as large as 30km*30km. But that would only be the upper limit, there is no reason why this multiplayer part of cm2 cant be tweakable, that is both being able to play a 8vs8 game, or a 2vsAI game, with fewer troops involved. It could be totally customizable.

Why should this enhanced multiplay feature published in CM2? Next year ... God ... waiting is terrible ...

BTS, please use the force and take the "more than 2 human players allowed"-option in the first TCP/IP patch avaiable ...

co-operative multiplayer is the most requested feature in terse emails to game creators from myself and fellow LAN-gamers...

2vsAI is the minimum that NEEDS to be implemented,IMHO,by BTS....realistically 2vs2(or more) needs to be high on the patch list.

Interestingly,when showing the Demo to people who have never seen or heard of CM they enevitably say "wow! cool! how many people does it support multiplayer?...."

"er...two..."

"what?! only two!?..oh...."

and the other thing they always say is "great!,thats cool being able to play the turn back!...now play me the movie of ALL the turns from the entire battle .....what do you mean you can't??.....oh....."

these are both genuine examples and have happened to me on all of the 4 occassions that I have shown CM off to non-initiates....